• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Celebrity deaths in 2016

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
George Michael was the one that was hardest for me. I’m a big fan of his. He was only 53-years-old, so young.

We lost a lot of great celebrities in the 2016.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
Bowie for me. The man was amazing. Every time he reinvented himself he created a new style of music. I must have watched Labyrinth at least 6 times since he died.

Carrie Fisher is a close second.

hepismis

Registered Member
EDIT: There's a reality shift going on because I thought he died this year. He actually died in 2014.

I mourned Robin Williams. He was at the peak of his public profile when I was younger, so I saw his shows and movies all over TV and the news, and he was indeed brilliant. That he took his own life because of depression at the relatively young age of 64 hurt especially badly.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think for me it was Bowie. The man was an amazing artist.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I hate this saying when it comes to celebrity deaths:

"you all don't know these people. They acted in movies, or threw a ball, or sang. I just do not understand why it affects you when they die."

First off, who are you to judge if it affects someone or not? A song from a certain musician can affect many people. Some fans idolized some of these celebrities, they grew up with them. Yes, they didn't know them personally, but what does that matter? It doesn't.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I hate this saying when it comes to celebrity deaths:

"you all don't know these people. They acted in movies, or threw a ball, or sang. I just do not understand why it affects you when they die."

First off, who are you to judge if it affects someone or not? A song from a certain musician can affect many people. Some fans idolized some of these celebrities, they grew up with them. Yes, they didn't know them personally, but what does that matter? It doesn't.
I agree. Look at Muhammad Ali. The guy was freakn awesome. His life in and out of the ring was inspiring and reminds me that I can do amazing things. I can inspire my kids to do amazing things and use Ali as proof. It's sad to see him in pain and then see him die.

hepismis

Registered Member
Well, there is something to be said for the notion that adulthood consists of caring only about what affects you (especially insofar as that means not caring about the personal opinions of total strangers who cannot affect you). Some people are simply not affected in any way by what happens to strangers. But those tend to be unempathic and grasping people, and the vast majority of the cold and grasping gravitate toward amassing wealth and wielding power from concealment. I certainly don't model my psyche after theirs. So, yeah, I care even when an obscure stranger dies or, in the words of a recent news story around here, suffers "life-altering injuries." Celebrities fall under the same rubric of people I care about from simple human empathy, except that I have more familiarity with them because a few of the details of their personal lives are part of the public record, to which I have access.

But arguing that it's somehow worse for a celebrity to die than for Jane Nobody to die is wrongheaded. Human lives are not rankable in value. The Pat Buchanan Catholic view that not all lives are created equal is something I strongly reject.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
It is incredibly cruel for a family to mourn a mother and a grandmother. Not only Billie Lourd will have to grieve over the loss of her mom Carrie Fisher but tonight, she also is mourning her grandmother Debbie Reynolds.

I didn't know much about her until I realized how huge she was on Broadway through her life. We lost so many talented people this year. Let's hope we'll be spared in 2017.

Mine who shook the most definitely was Muhammad Ali. Probably the most famous icon that ever lived. Not a whole lot of people would argue that.