"Celebrities" of today....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by April22nd, Sep 10, 2007.

1. April22nd

April22nd New Member

If you're anything like me you'll also believe that becoming famous is WAY too easy nowadays.

Youtube allows you to post yourself doing absolute frivolous things... and then everyones talking about you and your face is known EVERYWHERE!

Or you can go on big brother (or one of the other million and one reality tv shows) as a NOBODY.. and come out...as the BIGGEST thing since Marilyn Monroe!

I'm not sure if its fair?.... especially for those who have worked VERY hard to make a name for themselves.

What do you think?

OH YEAH and another thing that I cant stand is celebrities who are known for one thing....
    EG: Jenifer Lopez.. who is an actress and she wasnt too shabby at that either... THEN just decided she just wanted to take over the world!..
    First with the annoyingly rubbish songs... THE the STINKY perfume.. and then.. the uninspiring and cheap looking clothes line.... Next she'll be a scientist!.... Its ridiculous!

I think they should stick to what they're good at and stop trying to dabble in things that are none of their business :)

2. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

Nope, I don't think it's easy at all. In fact with all the competition out there, I'd say it's more difficult than ever to become famous.

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

There are more WAYS to become famous now, however, that also means that more people have the opportunity. I wouldn't say it's harder, but, for sure just as hard as it's always been.

Sure somebody on YouTube might be getting a lot of views on their video, but, until the tabloids start covering famous "YouTubers" I don't consider them famous.

I think it's safe to say that in general you aren't "famous" famous until you are being talked about in the tabloids. And on top of that, you need a tabloid nickname in order to be among the most famous. :D i.e. Brangelina, TomKat, etc.

The other option is to be on a first name basis with the media. Again, for example, Britney, Paris, etc.

I don't think anybody from YouTube or the internet in general has become a "celebrity" except for the few such as Christina Aguilera, who if you didn't know got started with a series of internet ads on AOL and other popular sites at the time. And even she didn't start off on a free video upload site, i.e. MySpace, YouTube.

4. JennMarie27

JennMarie27 New Member

I think the stars of today should have the talent to suceed in the business. The stars think they have the potential to do anything, and I think some of them do, and that some don't.

5. maledoro

maledoro Strange Visitor

Some of them just get by on their looks and little else. Take away the effects, etc., and see what is left.

[​IMG]

6. April22nd

April22nd New Member

Yeah.. I suppose you're right.. BUT HERE.. in sunny england.. we had some STUPID man singing a very irritating song on youtube in a very.... silly way... and he was in the papers.... on morning T.V.. on afternoon T.V.. and everyone thought he was GREAT!.. I didnt get it...
    and dont get me started on Big Brother!! This years contenstants are jetting around the world... ON FRONT page of magazines and papers!
    WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO!!!! lol :confused:

7. maledoro

maledoro Strange Visitor

People are only fascinated by fad and spectacle. I'm glad with my station in life where I am not a mega-celebrity but manage to make a comfortable living. It beats being a dancing flea like those who end up in the tabloids.

[​IMG]

8. April22nd

April22nd New Member

uh huh!....................................................

9. Bunny_roses

Bunny_roses what? no pink?

hmmmm did she do that before the mickey mouse club? cuz she was like 10 or maybe 12 lol somewhere around there when she did the mickey mouse club.

Anyway I don't think it's easier to get famous now a days I just think there are alot more options for people to get famous. Even if they aren't famous there are sure alot of poeple from youtube that are making loads of money from commercials and such. So hey if they can do it go for it.:nod:

10. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Good point. Her music career got launched with the internet. She was in the Mickey Mouse club way before that though, which I forgot, so I guess that makes her a bit different. How else did she have the money for a big budget internet campaign! :D

Thanks for the reminder. I guess my statement was a bit off considering that fact. :)