Celebrations after clinching..

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've never been a fan of teams that celebrate after clinching the division or playoff spot. It's all good and nice that you won your division and you made it into the playoffs, but the big prize is the Championship that only one team wins at the end of the season. Now that's worth celebrating for, not else in my opinion.

Thoughts?

Tucker

Lion Rampant
Ha, I was at Dodger Stadium last year when they took the division. My son had bought Row A field box seats for my birthday, so I got to shake Joe Torre's hand and smell the champagne in his hair when he came up the left line to celebrate with fans. (Not smell as in sniff, mind you - just as in notice. Let's keep it up here.)

No, they didn't win the Series (naturally), but we had a wild celebration with drunken Dodgers on the roof of the dugout spraying the crowd with fizz and everybody going camelnuts and I wouldn't have missed it for the world. Shame that they'll take it in San Diego this year!

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have no problem with the fans celebrating, I'm speaking about the players themselves. I am not a believer of them brining out the champagne and beer when they clinch the division. I know it's a long year and it's a great accomplishment, but the main prize is the trophy at the end.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I agree with BR. Every team's ultimate goal is to win a championship, not just a division title. Baseball is the only sport I can think of where they have huge celebrations when they clinch. Then they celebrate again when they win the LCS. I think it's kind of lame.

redsoxocd

living on the border
I feel the same way. I dont think its neccessary to celebrate clinching a playoff spot. I can understand if you celebrate because its hasnt been done in like FOR EVER (a.k.a. 12 years)

but yeah...its not needed

Tucker

Lion Rampant
They shouldn't celebrate at the ends of games, or at any other time except when winning the big prize?

I disagree whole heartedly, if I play 162 games I'm going to be damn happy if there's a positive result. There's no reason why they shouldn't celebrate. Hell in college we'd celebrate if we won an especially hard game, why don't the pros get to enjoy the fruits of their hardwork, just because fans see it as an all or nothing mindset?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't mind if they celebrate after a win by walk off home run or something in the ninth inning, I just don't believe the Champagne, Beer and T-Shirts should be brought out because they won their division. Don't get me wrong it's a great achievement and they should be happy about it, but in my opinion I wouldn't be satisfied until I win the Major Prize, if you don't then all that celebrating was worth nothing in my opinion.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I disagree whole heartedly, if I play 162 games I'm going to be damn happy if there's a positive result. There's no reason why they shouldn't celebrate. Hell in college we'd celebrate if we won an especially hard game, why don't the pros get to enjoy the fruits of their hardwork, just because fans see it as an all or nothing mindset?
Agreed.

In all honesty, I think we're just getting some pent up frustration from the unfortunate Jays fan in our midst. :D

Seriously though, Sui has it down. These guys a shitload of games, more time spent than almost any other sport out there so when they clinch a spot in the post-season, why shouldn't they be allowed to celebrate? Why is it so bad if they're celebrating entry into the playoffs? I don't see a logical argument for this at all.

What about when a team wins a divisional championship? Should they be allowed to cheer? According to your ideas, BR, that's a no as well.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Sui and Cons have it right...its different in baseball folks...it just is. Baseball is the closest sport to a 9-5 job...you play everyday, let them celebrate.

Also, there arent that many teams in baseball making the playoffs every year...its special to win a division in MLB.

The ultimate goal is winning the World Series, sure, but until that time the goal was to win the division and if they do that, celebrate...that's the FIRST goal, afterall.