• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

CDC lab workers exposed to anthrax

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
CHICAGO (Reuters) – U.S. authorities increased to 84 people their count of government workers potentially exposed to live anthrax at three laboratories in Atlanta as they investigated a breach in safety procedures for handling the deadly pathogen.

CDC says more lab workers may have been exposed to anthrax
When you think about how many of these types of labs are all over the world them accidentally letting something escape can be a scary thought and could become a reality. It could end life as we know it if one that has been weaponized escapes.

They should, and they do, take extreme precautions when dealing with it. Yet there was still a breach. So I don't see us as being truly safe from any of these killers as long as they are alive in a lab somewhere.

They experiment with them to come up with a better vaccine or cure. Never know when another country or terrorist might decide to attack us with one. So I realize we need to be prepared.

Thoughts?

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
It's a bit of a catch 22 situation. Like you say, it is important for these people to do what they do. But as long as it's out there, all the precautions in the world can't safeguard it 100% ALL the time.

These people working at these facilities put their lives in danger every day by just going to work. If anyone understands and respects the danger they work with, it's them. It's a nasty job, but someone has to do it.

dDave

V.I.P.
Anthrax is no joke, that's for sure. It's stuff like this that makes me remember that nukes, though scary, are simply not the biggest or worst things to be afraid of in the world.

There are so many weapons that can cause mass destruction, panic, and even end life as we know it globally. I think it's only a matter of time before some sick nut comes along and weaponizes something big and changes the world overnight.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't know, both would be bad. I think nukes would be worse though because if enough were used it could take thousands of years for the earth to become habitual again but there might not be any life left. Any people or animals that survived a disease would still have a healthy planet to live on. Really wouldn't want to deal with either scenario.

All we need is some nut to decide the world is too overpopulated and do something crazy like releasing a disease there is no cure for that is deadly and spreads quickly. We would be overwhelmed by the disease then by the dead bodies that would further spread diseases. It wouldn't be pretty.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Thats really scary but it could even be worse if the new bird flu they made got out of the labs. They say it could kill a billion people.
Marc Lipsitch warns against experimentation with modified H5N1 virus | Harvard Magazine Mar-Apr 2013

I wonder if the CIA or the FSB are making anything new in their labs...
All we need is a lab worker to walk out infected with that. They would spread it to others then they would in turn spread it.

Worse yet a terrorist could let it lose in any busy city and like most viruses it would make it way around the world. Even if their intended target was the US they wouldn't have to let it go here. All they would have to do is infect people in Mexico with it. Their health care being what it is it would be across the border before anyone knew what was going on.

Even here is the US there would be many people that wouldn't go to the doctor immediately because here it costs a lot to go see a doctor. So they would spread it to many people before they tried to get help.

I think its alarming that this bird flu they have made transmissible between humans even exists. Lord knows how many other labs have done the same thing in places like China where they may not admit to having it and wouldn't admit it if it escaped.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
(Reuters) - A second U.S. investigation into the anthrax breach at federal laboratories found major safety lapses, from keys left in supposedly locked refrigerators containing anthrax to the use of disinfectants that had passed their use-by dates, according to a document released by lawmakers on Monday.

U.S. inspectors find further anthrax violations, mishandling
Its a wonder something hasn't escaped from the lab into the general population. They were transferring unidentified material in zip lock baggies from one CDC lab to another among other things like having employees check themselves for Anthrax.