• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

CD/DVD Emulation

MindoverMaster

Registered Member
For those of you who are :confused:, CD/DVD emulation means that if you have an ISO file of a program, you can put it into this software, and show up in your computer as a CD/DVD drive. Without having to burn a CD/DVD. For testing purposes, also for a once in awhile usage.

What do you use?

There are many programs out there. DaemonTools, Gizmo, to name a few.

I now use Gizmo, because for some odd reason Daemon would not work.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
I generally use DAEMON Tools Lite. It's served me well thus far, despite the fact I rarely use it.

Arathald

Registered Member
There's a native CD mounter for Windows that you can download as a powertoy, if you'd rather do things natively, but I always use Virtual CloneDrive by SlySoft (the makers of clonecd). It's completely free and really easy to use. I used to use daemon tools, but it's gone downhill in the past few years. Isn't it adware nowadays?

Arathald

Registered Member
The lite version is not, just the trial of the pro version is. IIRC.
Ah ok, I wasn't sure anymore. It's been several years since I've used it. I still recommend Virtual CloneDrive, but it looks like I can't really disrecommend Daemon Tools Lite.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
As far as I'm aware, DAEMON Tools Lite has optional adware.

Arathald

Registered Member
Ah yes, it does, if Wikipedia is to be believed on the subject. So it may very well be worth using, but with some caution during installation. It also appears that it doesn't provide shell extensions (right-click menu) in the lite version (which Virtual CloneDrive does). All in all, either looks like a good option, though my preference still stays strongly with Virtual CloneDrive.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I have poweriso. Is this in the same league? I just had my friend install stuff on my computer because I don't have a CD drive.

MindoverMaster

Registered Member
I thought you could right-click in the lite version. hmmm..

Anyhow, I think everything works about the same, as CD/DVD burner software are.

@ysabel - PowerISO is a bit different than we were talking about, but I guess that works. It's just extracting an ISO, not emulating it.

Last edited:

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
@ysabel - PowerISO is a bit different than we were talking about, but I guess that works. It's just extracting an ISO, not emulating it.
By the looks of things, it can mount ISO files.