• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

MLB Caught Stealing Percentage

goingtopshelf

Registered Member
The three greatest catchers of all-time thread peeked my curiosity on who currently has the potential to be a great catcher. I think you have to look at several things, how they handle a staff, call a game, pitch skills like framing, blocking balls in the dirt, saving wild pitches and control the running the running game.

According to ESPN of all the "qualified" catchers Brian McCann led the majors in runners stealing percentage with 37.2% caught (29 of 78). Yadi Molina didn't qualify despite playing over 100 games he threw out 21 of 44 or 47.7%.

Now look at this non qualifier Christian Vazquez started 50 of the 54 games he played in and and caught 15 of 29 attempted base stealers that's a whopping 51.7%. This kid has been timed with a release around 1.7 seconds and Red Sox fans are referring to him as "Vazcannon". This kid is the best catching prospect I've seen Boston develop since Carlton Fisk (Jason Varitek was already in Triple A with Seattle when he was acquired). It looks like he has the starting job in 2015 and I can't wait to see what he puts up for a % over a full season.

He really can do it all behind the plate and it should be fun watching him and Salvador Perez really become the next generation of backstop.

Is there anyone you know of that could be one of this generations greats?