• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Catholic Hospital Chain Kills Wrongful Death Lawsuit by Arguing that a Fetus is Not a

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
That's the law....how can someone sue for wrongful death if the law does not recognize the death as a person?? How could that stand up in court? The article saying "in defiance of its own long-held doctrine — that a dead fetus is not the same as a dead person." is misleading....IT'S THE LAW. It's not that difficult. It's an attorney making a legal argument based on the law, this isn't a hospital going against it's own beliefs.

EDIT: The law does not recognize the fetus as a person so how could the law hold the hospital liable for causing the fetus' death? Any comptent lawyer representing the hospital would make this argument to get the lawsuit dismissed, he wouldn't care what the hospital's "doctrines" are, his job is to defend the hospital. This is something the author of this piece does not understand.

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
It is the law and any attorney is going to use any means to win a case for their client as they should but I think the catholic church just told the world that they agree with this law so there should be nothing wrong with abortion. That will be how it is seen.

Does sound like the hospital messed up on this. Since the babies were wanted they should of immediately tried to do a C-section to save them. Sounds like they drug their feet too long.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
It is the law and any attorney is going to use any means to win a case for their client as they should but I think the catholic church just told the world that they agree with this law so there should be nothing wrong with abortion. That will be how it is seen.

Does sound like the hospital messed up on this. Since the babies were wanted they should of immediately tried to do a C-section to save them. Sounds like they drug their feet too long.
This is a Catholic Hospital, not the Catholic Church. Nevertheless that isn't close to what the Church is saying here, what they are saying here if you want to hold people responsible for killing a fetus, change the law and hold ALL people who kill fetus' liable. The thing is, IF the Catholic Church wouldn't have done this and IF they were held liable for the deaths of these fetus', then it would overturn abortion laws, because we can't have it both ways.

The hospital may be was negligent. Too bad, the law does not recognize the fetuses as persons. The author of this piece seriously lacks critical thinking skills.