• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Catchers as managers

EdgeHead

Registered Member
It just dawned on me recently how many former catchers have found themselves at the helm of an MLB team; whether it's Joe Girardi with the Yankees, Bob Melvin at Oakland, Scott Servais is also a manager and the great Joe Torre was also a catcher in his playing days. Why do you think that is? Do catchers have a better global grasp of the game and all of its intricacies?

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
There was a special on TV on this recently. I cut it off after awhile, but it was about a former spy that was a catcher because of the amount of information needed to take in about everything going on. So it seems almost like a director's role on the baseball field.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
It just dawned on me recently how many former catchers have found themselves at the helm of an MLB team; whether it's Joe Girardi with the Yankees, Bob Melvin at Oakland, Scott Servais is also a manager and the great Joe Torre was also a catcher in his playing days. Why do you think that is? Do catchers have a better global grasp of the game and all of its intricacies?
John Gibbons was also a catcher in the big leagues for a few season. He was a lousy one, but still.

I do believe catchers have a better understanding of the game because they a lot more responsibilities than anyone else, and they have to retain more information than anyone else.

Catchers are pretty much in-game managers during their playing days.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Mike Matheny, our manager in St. Louis, was a catcher for us. Yadier Molina, our current catcher, is basically an on-field manager and will no-doubt be a coach. I hope it's for a team that I like or can tolerate and get behind when the time comes, because I'd love to cheer them on.

I think like Bizzy said, catchers are in-game managers. They're smart many times, and have to monitor multiple aspects of the game. From where they squat, they're monitoring every part of the field many times. When you have a guy like that, he'll often make a great leader pretty seamlessly.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
@EdgeHead

I can't remember who the TV special on that one catcher was about because I lost interest, but if you find it again, might want to post it here. After awhile, the whole subject matter became boring to me because it's classified under "those things that are too obvious and self evident", that I probably had other stuff to do at the time.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think this is what you may be talking about:

It's really good.