Catalonia, Spain may vote to ban bullfighting

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Stegosaurus, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Stegosaurus

Stegosaurus Registered Member

Ricky Gervais locks horns over bullfighting - Telegraph

Ricky Gervais is the public figure working on this with the WSPA.

I cannot see any decent arguments for not banning bullfighting, but I am curious to hear them if they exist.

There is also a worldwide petition:
    Bullfighting action - WSPA USA

2. Sorrel

Sorrel Registered Member

That's good news, Stegosaurus. I didn't expect it ever to happen.

3. storm_ina_C_cup

storm_ina_C_cup Registered Member

I'm happy to hear about this. I despise anything that has to do with animal cruelty.

4. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I agree that it should be banned, although it's such a part of the culture, I'm a little hesitant.

5. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I agree with the cruelty to the bulls, but as Wade said, it's such a big part of my culture a part of me hates seeing it go. My friends and I would go to Reynosa Mexico in high school and college to watch it every now and then.

6. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

I would not like to see it banned. I would like to see it reformed though, I dont think there is any need to torture and kill the animals. As for a little tormenting ...I consider that a small price the bull has to pay to be admired in the manner they do so in Spain. Without the fighting there would be very few bulls and they would not receive the status, gain the respect or receive the care that they do.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  7. Unity

Unity #AllTogetherNowSTL Staff Member

I'm glad to see it move towards banning...it's so cruel to the animals, it depresses me.

If it could be remedied in a way that's humane to the Bulls involved, as mentioned, I might be ok with it.

It could just be about the bullfighter dodging and then getting into the stands, as with a Bullrider in the States, then talk to me.

8. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

My feelings too. I don't like it, it's violent, it can be cruel and dangerous. But it's almost like banning tequila drinking in Mexico - it's so associated with the culture (and people are excited to discover it when they do visit) that I hope there was some way to not ban it but just minimise the negative.

9. Stegosaurus

Stegosaurus Registered Member

I find the, "part of their cultural history" argument to be a little strange. I am sure that in about 10 seconds we could whip up about a dozen cultural practices that have long since gone away primarily due to their immorality.

10. Unity

Unity #AllTogetherNowSTL Staff Member