• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Cat left outside alone for vacation

Sophia

Registered Member
My neighbor went to visit her family on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. She intended to be gone only a week. However, due to health issues, she is not back yet and her little male kitty is pitiful. He cries and scratches at all the neighbor's doors trying to get in. He has plenty of food and water and can get in to his own front porch but he's just so lonely. I can't let him in because I have two other kitties that would not be happy with me. I do pet him when I go outside. Is there anything else I can do?

Impaired

Registered Member
She left a pet outside for a week while on vacation? That's lame.

MiketheGrinder

Registered Member
My neighbor does this with his dog and it's terrible. Some people are just callous.

That's a long time for the cat's owner to be absent and for him to beg. At some point, I think he'll assume she's not coming back and he's on his own. He'll run off. Can you contact your neighbor and ask if her cat can be let inside his own home until she returns? Maybe she has a spare key hidden nearby. I don't understand why she didn't keep him inside in the first place unless he's an outdoor only cat.

Cheap and easy "fixes" would be a cardboard box to create a sense of security and cats just plain like them and a paper towel roll filled with treats for the cat to fish out. If his water is freezing over, try elevating it off the ground. Thank you for being kind to the poor thing!

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
She should have gotten someone to come by and take care of it, spend time with it. Let it come in if it is use to being inside or boarded it somewhere.

If it were my cat I would be worried to death about it, especially if its a kitten.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
She should have gotten someone to come by and take care of it, spend time with it. Let it come in if it is use to being inside or boarded it somewhere.

If it were my cat I would be worried to death about it, especially if its a kitten.
Wholeheartedly agree. People like described above do not deserve to have pets. Makes me sick to my stomach reading that.

Impaired

Registered Member
Sadly, the person who can't take care of a pet properly is no doubt raising human children.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have a question here, is the cats owner old, is she the one that became ill or someone else in the family?

If she is old and ill, you can't get a hold of her to get her to do something, then I would take the kitten even if I had kittens of my own, they will get use to each other. Or if you can talk to her, maybe volunteer to go over and spend time with it while she is away, try to get other neighbors to help. Either that or if you talk to her and she acts like she doesn't care about the kitten call an organization that will take it.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
They don't know anybody who can come over and just play with the cat for a bit? That's what I did for @Unity . It's just so terrible and those people should not have pets, as others have said.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
They don't know anybody who can come over and just play with the cat for a bit? That's what I did for @Unity . It's just so terrible and those people should not have pets, as others have said.
Seriously. It’s sad if they don’t have someone, but if you’re going to be a pet owner you have to plan ahead for these sorts of things.

Call animal control or your local rescue/shelter/humane society.
Yeah definitely - this really wouldn’t be a bad idea if someone can’t take them in. Especially if it’s getting cold.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Millz Bathroom Wall 5
Mirage Pets 6
dDave School 11
Blur Ideas & Support 8
Pepper Pets 6