• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Cat held family hostage

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
A Portland family was forced to hide in a bedroom and call 911 after they say they were terrorized by their 22-pound pet cat.

911 Call Reveals Ore. Family Held Hostage by Fat Cat
Sounds like to me it made the cat mad when they kicked it in the rear end. Then it went off on them for doing that, which makes me question if it was the first time they hit the cat.

Still I think I could of taken a house cat fat or not and I would have if it attacked my baby, it would have been hiding from me. I think it was kind of silly of them to call 911 over it.

Ever had a pet turn on you? Would you have called 911 over this?

Last edited:

Elanor

Registered Member
The poor thing also had it's tail pulled by their other child. It is understandable that the cat flipped out. I don't believe in bad animals, but I do believe in bad owners (with some exceptions, but that could be another discussion). If my cat did that, I wouldn't call the police. I know how to handle him, and know enough about cats to deal with a situation like that. I once had a rescue cat who was very badly treated, she could be a handful at the best of times, but I never blamed her. She was victim of mistreatment.

To be honest, if you are going to have a pet, know how to handle it. I could be being overly harsh, they could be good owners and this an isolated incident.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Kids can be mean to pets and I think its up to the parents to teach them not to be. I have a feeling there is much more to this story than is being told. Wouldn't surprise me to find out it was abused daily. Really feel sorry for the cat, abuse will cause an animal to snap just like it will a person.

Still when it comes to a 7 month old baby I don't think I would have put up with that. I know I wouldn't.

Elanor

Registered Member
Kids can be mean to pets and I think its up to the parents to teach them not to be. I have a feeling there is much more to this story than is being told. Wouldn't surprise me to find out it was abused daily. Really feel sorry for the cat, abuse will cause an animal to snap just like it will a person.

Still when it comes to a 7 month old baby I don't think I would have put up with that. I know I wouldn't.
Completely agree, the baby was defenceless and needs the parents protection. It is definitely the parents responsibility to teach their children how to treat animals.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Completely agree, the baby was defenceless and needs the parents protection. It is definitely the parents responsibility to teach their children how to treat animals.
Even that probably happened because of being abused by the other kids and the parents. I wouldn't have abused the cat so I probably wouldn't have had to deal with that.

Elanor

Registered Member
Even that probably happened because of being abused by the other kids and the parents. I wouldn't have abused the cat so I probably wouldn't have had to deal with that.
You are more than likely right. Which is very sad, cats can be lovely pets if treated well and loved. I would never abuse my cat, but dealing with a cat that has been through being abused is not an easy task.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
As others have said I think there is more to this story than is being told. For one thing a 7 month old cat being 22 pounds? That is 9KG in english weight which seems WAY to big for a cat of that age, that sounds like mistreatment on handing for a start and the cat "charging the door"? That is just insane...

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I thought a cat charging the door was crazy too Gin. For a cat to behave like that I really have to wonder how he was treated.

I had a cat once and at 6 months old he weighted 18 lbs and he wasn't the least bit fat, he was just big. Jealous too, didn't like me having anything to do with other cats, got sprayed by him over it. Only cat I ever had that liked to go in the car with me and wasn't nervous about it at all.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I heard about this on the news here. That cat is huge and scary. And cats (and dogs) are still wild animals by nature. If you're going to kick it or hurt it or make it feel endangered, it is of course going to retaliate with whatever means nature gave it. What does the cat know about what's right on how to "treat a baby".

Our neighbours cat got into our house once and panicked when we try to get it out. It went ballistic. It tore our curtains, scratched my dad and myself in the face and arm respectively, clawed holes in our furniture. And that was a normal sized cat. It was a pretty scary experience.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I heard about this on the news here. That cat is huge and scary. And cats (and dogs) are still wild animals by nature. If you're going to kick it or hurt it or make it feel endangered, it is of course going to retaliate with whatever means nature gave it. What does the cat know about what's right on how to "treat a baby".

Our neighbours cat got into our house once and panicked when we try to get it out. It went ballistic. It tore our curtains, scratched my dad and myself in the face and arm respectively, clawed holes in our furniture. And that was a normal sized cat. It was a pretty scary experience.
Wow, I hope the owners volunteered to at least pay for the damage. The best thing to do if you get a cat in your house like that is to open the doors and leave it alone. They will usually leave pretty quick, usually.

I had a female cat once that didn't care much for dogs. A beagle came into our yard one day and I wasn't wanting it there, think she caused my beagle to get killed. My cat acted like she was wanting to jump on the dog and I said get em Moe and she did, which surprised me. Just didn't think she would do it. The dog left and never came back.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Millz Bathroom Wall 5
Mirage Pets 6
dDave School 11
Blur Ideas & Support 8
Pepper Pets 6