• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Cat-eating African lizards

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Raw Story said:
A cat-eating lizard native to Africa is being targeted by Florida state wildlife officials who say the creatures, known as Nile monitors, could be dangerous to pets and people.
Florida takes aim at cat-eating African lizards

You know they will never catch all of these things. They should put a bounty on them and they might have a chance at stopping them. I would hate to have one eat my cat.

Thoughts?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
WTF are they doing in Florida. This is what happens when the exotic pet industry isn't monitored enough. Some countries seem to think they can take native animals from all different parts of the world, bring them to a completely new environment and just think it will all end well. No it won't, they can escape, breed, set up populations and become a huge invasive species. The Nile monitor should have never been there to begin with.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think we should put an end to exotic animals being brought to the US. Which not all were brought here willingly, some hitched rides. Just to mention a few, some of our lakes have piranha in them, Chinese carp are killing local fish, Florida has a problem with pythons, Africanized Bees, where will it stop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasive_species_in_the_United_States

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
It's true that some did hitch rides, but they are usually smaller animals that do that, like frogs, insects etc. The nile monitor, and many other reptiles, animals etc are bought into the USA deliberately to be kept as pets. In Australia invasive species are a huge problem so we have really strict rules about this, and it's rare to import non-native animals in as pets, and highly illegal most of the time, so I'm always amazed at how slack America's laws seem to be around this.

I know a lot of American people who own exotic animals from every corner of the world, it astounds me. A huge percent of the most popular reptiles kept in the USA as pets aren't even native to the USA at all. They are from Australia, South America, Africa etc. It's crazy.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
its not so much that the laws are slack. They can have as many laws as they want. The states are just so huge, and every border is easy to get across, they can't monitor every single spot. So smuggling is a huge thing. Its all kind of a mess.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
They catch people all the time smuggling in animals but there is no way they are going to catch them all.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I know that smuggling is a problem, as it is in most problems, but I'm not talking about that I'm talking about the animals that are perfectly legal to own. Since becoming interested in reptile and exotic animal keeping I've been researching this more and more for several years.

And what I'm talking about is the fact that in the US it's perfectly legal to own exotic reptiles from all corners of the world. Not from smuggling, but it's 100% legal.

I think US is the only country I know that has more laws preventing people owning native animals than it does about owning introduced/invasive ones. I know a lot of native animals are illegal to own there, yet you can legally own all sorts of introduced ones from every corner of the world. Hell all the most popular lizard species to own in the US are Australian. And it's all legal.

I once read that in the US it's illegal to own a native American crow, but it's legal to own Japanese crows and crows from other countries. It's laws like that which I'm talking about.

It's also illegal to own some native turtles, but you can own countless turtles from other countries legally.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Another angle to consider is that Florida gets beaten around with heavy weather every year. When you get weather that is going to destroy buildings, you're going to have some exotic pets get loose.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Millz Bathroom Wall 5
Mirage Pets 6
dDave School 11
Blur Ideas & Support 8
Pepper Pets 6