• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Casual messages when websites go down?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
What do you think when websites use casual lingo to let you know that they won't be available later on due to some maintenance? For example, I noticed PayPal says this today:

Pardon our virtual dust. We're hammering out some improvements to our site, so parts of PayPal.com won't be available from 11:00 PM PDT to 1:00 AM PDT.
It's not the most professional way to say it, but again it does feel more down to earth. It comes across as them being a laid back and friendly bunch.

What do you think when sites word downtime announcements like this? I don't really mind it. I prefer it to the robotic feel of the very generic ways they could be saying it.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Depends on the face of the company.

Companies that largely rely on traffic via the average joe should definitely consider creating a more personal touch to their announcements. I'm thinking entities like Myspace, PayPal, Ebay, etc etc. Where as say a company that deals strictly with either Corporate Entities or other Professional faces say for instance DM Figley Chemical Co probably is best suited to have a robotic professional form of announcements.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
The more reputable the site, the more they can get away with informality without looking amateurish. That's my take, anyway.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Depends on the face of the company.

Companies that largely rely on traffic via the average joe should definitely consider creating a more personal touch to their announcements. I'm thinking entities like Myspace, PayPal, Ebay, etc etc. Where as say a company that deals strictly with either Corporate Entities or other Professional faces say for instance DM Figley Chemical Co probably is best suited to have a robotic professional form of announcements.
That's a good point. Now that you mention it though, I still probably see more companies that deal with the average Joe using the robotic messages than the other way around. I mean you can't really go wrong with them unless you consider coming across as bland or elite as a downside. Some companies like to remove that personal touch though. It does make them come across as more prestigious and less "common folk" oriented.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I only care about details..."when is it back up". The rest, is just entertainment - the way they word it.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I really don't care how they word it or how casual it is. Sometimes it's clever and a little humorous, sometimes it's just stupid. But like Ysabel said, I only care when it comes back.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Maybe next time I have to take GF down for server work I'll think up a nice and clever statement like:

"Anita tripped over the power cord. GF will be back online as soon as we finish punishing her."

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Maybe next time I have to take GF down for server work I'll think up a nice and clever statement like:

"Anita tripped over the power cord. GF will be back online as soon as we finish punishing her."
If you're trying for something clever, you should try again.

Loser.

The power cord part is good. But I became sickened at multiple people punishing me. Perverts.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

That would be cute except I need a more specific time when you'll finish punishing Anita.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
That would be cute except I need a more specific time when you'll finish punishing Anita.
Since you are a mod you would be given more specific details and times. Don't worry. :lol: