• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Cassini Captures Images and Sounds of Saturn Storm

Comet

Registered Member
Now that's a big storm.

Saturn recently had a storm of epic proportions that was around 2 billion square miles. We were able to capture up-close images and sound from it. This is approximately 500 times larger than the previous storm record on Saturn. This is an extremely violent storm that has displayed lightning strikes ten times more frequent than other recorded events. At times there were ten strikes per second.

Scientists analyzing data from NASA's Cassini spacecraft now have the first-ever, up-close details of a Saturn storm that is eight times the surface area of Earth.
Cassini captures images and sounds of Saturn storm

Dekzper

Registered Member
It's totally amazing! :nod: JPL's doing an outstanding job with the Cassini mission, period. I was hoping for more about Titan but the salt-water resevoir on Enceladus def makes up for that.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Space never ceases to amaze me and the sort of figures they are talking about simply blow my mind, it is hard I think to truly understand what that storm would really be like. I was looking for the sound though, did it play for others and I am missing something?

Dekzper

Registered Member
Space never ceases to amaze me and the sort of figures they are talking about simply blow my mind, it is hard I think to truly understand what that storm would really be like. I was looking for the sound though, did it play for others and I am missing something?
I don't think they had the file in that link.
Here's a link to the NASA JPL Cassini site. Just click on the file to hear the lightning strikes! :) There's also a lot more info at that site.
Cassini Solstice Mission: Video Details

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Fascinating. What I love about space is the vastness and size of it all. A single storm stretching over a larger surface than the earth could cover. I wish there could be more pictures of the thunder and lightning though. Just amazing.

dDave

V.I.P.
Comet, you sure know how to find really cool scientific stuff.

That is a crazy huge storm you got that right. I wonder though does Saturn have an atmosphere that they can actually pick up sound or is it vibrations and shockwaves translated to sound? (if you get my meaning)

Dekzper

Registered Member
Dunno if they actually recorded the sounds but they could be recorded.
Saturn has a dense atmosphere that's 96.3% molecular hydrogen and 3.25% helium with trace ammounts of other gases like ammonia, acetylene, ethane, phosphine, and methane. The trace amounts of sulfur are what make the atmosphere look yellowish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn

Btw, the dense and cold atmosphere would affect the soundwaves so the thunder might sound very different than on Earth.

Last edited: