Cassel to Chiefs

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
FOXBOROUGH, Massachusetts (Ticker)—The New England Patriots on Saturday traded quarterback Matt Cassel to the Kansas City Chiefs.
It was the second trade in as many days between the clubs, which turned into a package deal of Cassel and linebacker Mike Vrabel for Kansas City’s second-round pick (No. 34) this year.

New Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli, the former Patriots’ personnel director, engineered the deals with New England in an attempt to turn around a downtrodden team that finished a franchise-worst 2-14 last season.

“I have a long history with both players,” Pioli said. “Mike and Matt are men that I respect both personally and professionally. I look forward to having them as new members of the Chiefs family.”
Cassel was designated as the Patriots’ franchise player earlier this month, guaranteeing him a $14.65 million for next season.

Patriots deal Cassel to Chiefs - NFL - Yahoo! Sports
After dealing with Cassel during the Fantasy football season I did earn a decent respect for him. So in Kansas City... who's his competition for Starting QB? Thigpen? Hopefully he gets better attention over there than he did in New England as a backup.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well it seems like the Cheifs are turning things around, they still have a lot spots to fill to become a contender in the NFL. But with that being said they've picked up two good players in the last few days.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
i guess NE thinks brady will be alright?

cassell in KC...i wouldn't get too excited yet
I can agree, But I have to say it'll definitely be a good step forward in his career. I'm not sure what who his targets will be when the next season starts up but who knows, if he gets the whole summer to work with them there might be something there. I mean hell if a no name roster like Arizona make the Superbowl, then a Cassel led KC Chiefs could mean something. My bets are not immediately though ;)

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
I can agree, But I have to say it'll definitely be a good step forward in his career. I'm not sure what who his targets will be when the next season starts up but who knows, if he gets the whole summer to work with them there might be something there. I mean hell if a no name roster like Arizona make the Superbowl, then a Cassel led KC Chiefs could mean something. My bets are not immediately though ;)
I don't not sure it'll be a good step forward or not to be honest. Maybe I'm just biased against him...I dont think he's that good and it'll be interesting to see how he does with not as many weapons. Gonzalez and Bowe are there but I dont know what else there is. I think its good because he should be the undisputed #1 guy there but I dont know how good he really is yet. Time will tell!

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I don't not sure it'll be a good step forward or not to be honest. Maybe I'm just biased against him...I dont think he's that good and it'll be interesting to see how he does with not as many weapons. Gonzalez and Bowe are there but I dont know what else there is. I think its good because he should be the undisputed #1 guy there but I dont know how good he really is yet. Time will tell!

And thats honestly the reason I think he'll be fine, because he isnt that great. So being in KC not a whole lot will be expected of him, thus not near as much pressure as there was in Foxborough. In my personal opinion thats the perfect situation for him, cause chances are we wont even hear about him next season :hah: I'm not expecting him to be the next Joe Montana, hell I dont even expect him to be the next Trent Dilfer for that matter. However, I sorta see him about like Philip Rivers in 2006. A no name hardly any expectations QB going to a mediocre if not lackluster passing team.

only the future will tell! I personally have high hopes for him.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Kansas City fans are pretty rabid though, Goat. They love their football and they love their team. I wonder if they view Cassel as the new savior coming in to save the day...there might be more pressure then you think.

And the team has been so shitty the past two years and I think Cassel has something to prove. He's playing for a long term deal. Should be fun to watch.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I dont honestly follow KC all that much, heck the last time I actually made a conscious effort to watch a Chiefs game was when Montana was playing for 'em :hah: I always base my Pressure scale like I do in hockey... Montreal having one of the toughest amounts of pressure followed by Toronto and Detroit. In the NFL I always imagined Dallas having one of the roughest followed by New England and whoever else. Maybe I'm not giving KC the respect I should be ;)

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yeah I think there's pressure from the fans but the media doesn't really pay much attention. It's definitely different from the places you mentioned.