• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Cashiers that can't count change

Falconer

Registered Member
It definitely is something about being on that side of the counter. I'm not the world's greatest at maths but I guarantee I can work out what change I'm owed when I've paid a cashier a lot quicker -- and 99% of the time a lot more accurately -- than I could ever work out what change I owed someone else when I worked bar jobs. Cashier panic should be a recognised condition and get all the sympathy it deserves (I kid, but only half). It's not that they're idiots (in most cases, anyway); it's more their maths brain has got rabbit-in-the-headlights syndrome. At least that's my excuse and I intend to stick to it. ;P

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I can understand how you would have a brain fart being a cashier. You check out customer after customer relying on the register, your getting tired, then you screw up putting in the correct amount tendered, you get flustered and everything goes out the window. I use to check out, it happens to everyone.

There is this one girl at this one quick stop I go to, I learned to avoid her. She will ask what you want then before she gets it, she will have to ask again and she screws your change up, she does this consistently.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I'm a cashier that can't count change. I actually gave someone $5 less the other day and they walked back into the store to get it off me. I rely 100% on the computer. Unlike Kay the reason I'm bad isn't because I'm nervous or on the spot, it's because I'm just really terrible at anything to do with numbers. The amount of change pops up on the screen, and then when I click the button to open the till it disappears. So I have that brief moment where I have to remember it. Sometimes I forget and give out wrong change.

Bliss

Sally Twit
Yesterday when I went to a shop I was asked how much the item was I was buying. That was pretty odd. It's one of those shops where they don't scan what you're buying so they're supposed to know how much everything is or look at a list.

I've never been short changed before but there's been a couple of instances where someone has tried to give me too much change. I was always honest about it.
It must be stressful dealing with money.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
It's a more common problem than I thought. Maybe they should keep calculators by the registers for when the machine fails, or when the wrong amount gets input.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
The problem I get into is I take the guy's money, hit enter on the computer 3 times quickly and am then standing there going: OK, the bill was $xx, he gave me $20 that means I owe him what?!? I never take the time to type in $20 given and read the screen where it says: Pay customer $xx. I'd rather hurry through it and then have an internal argument with myself about why I should have just taken the extra 5 seconds to do it the right way.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
The problem I get into is I take the guy's money, hit enter on the computer 3 times quickly and am then standing there going: OK, the bill was $xx, he gave me $20 that means I owe him what?!? I never take the time to type in $20 given and read the screen where it says: Pay customer $xx. I'd rather hurry through it and then have an internal argument with myself about why I should have just taken the extra 5 seconds to do it the right way.
LOL! Well, doing it that way takes longer, because then you have to think about what to give back. Let the machine take over.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
When you consider the people they hire for these kinds of positions, it's not surprising. Working in a retail environment myself, I can tell you we have some really stupid people working for us. Some of them much higher than cashiers.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I guess these places don't have computers that do the math for them?? When I worked in retail and was checking people out at the cash register the computer system did the math for me. Pretty simple, you type in what they give you and based off how much the total was it told me the total due back. I can't imagine having to do it myself haha

alana

I stopped at a grocery store this morning and I had to tell them how much change they owed me. My order came to $2.80 and I gave her a five. She put $50. for amount tendered on her register. She became totally confused and after a few seconds I told her she owed me $2.20. I waited a bit just to give her time to do it herself, didn't want to embarrass her.

This seems to happen about ever other time I'm out shopping. Does anyone have this happen to them or am I just privileged?

I have had this happen to me so many times! I used to give back the money if they give me too much change but lately I just keep it. My thinking is maybe by keeping it they will become better at their job if their cash drawer keeps coming up short.
------
On day at the MacDonald's drive through on Maui my bill was $4.17, I gave her a five dollar bill and 17 cents in coins. She was LOST! She gave me back $3.35. I was so shocked that she couldn't figure it out. Finally the manager had to come over to give me my $1.00 change...sad.

Last edited: