Cashiers that can't count change

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I stopped at a grocery store this morning and I had to tell them how much change they owed me. My order came to $2.80 and I gave her a five. She put $50. for amount tendered on her register. She became totally confused and after a few seconds I told her she owed me $2.20. I waited a bit just to give her time to do it herself, didn't want to embarrass her.

This seems to happen about ever other time I'm out shopping. Does anyone have this happen to them or am I just privileged?

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I run across a lot of cashiers who cannot count change. I don't know if it's just that these days people don't put much emphasis on counting change or people just get too dependent on machines to do all the work and cannot do simple math.

Also, it irritates me that cashiers no longer seem to count your change back to you. When I was doing it, I would always start with the total of the bill, and then count up to what they had given me to pay for it as I was handing it back to them.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
I run across a lot of cashiers who cannot count change. I don't know if it's just that these days people don't put much emphasis on counting change or people just get too dependent on machines to do all the work and cannot do simple math.
In my case, it's that I can't do quick sums in my head. I'm one of those people who, if they don't have access to a calculator, will end up trying to subtly count using their fingers. As I do till work in a charity shop where business is slow, it's not that big a problem. But this is why I never go for till work anywhere else.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've had it happened to me on a few occasions, no one is perfect. Just politely tell them that they didn't give the right change, and they'll do so and apologize. Then go on with the rest of your day. No big deal.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Some of it is pressure. At least once a night at my 2nd job I come across looking like an idiot because I try to make change and can't figure it out. I stand there like a complete moron why I figure out what's the change on $18.34 if they gave me a $20. I am very fast with math and on the other side of the register I never, never ever have a brain fart. Something about being on that side that makes a difference.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I stopped at a grocery store this morning and I had to tell them how much change they owed me. My order came to $2.80 and I gave her a five. She put $50. for amount tendered on her register. She became totally confused and after a few seconds I told her she owed me $2.20. I waited a bit just to give her time to do it herself, didn't want to embarrass her.

This seems to happen about ever other time I'm out shopping. Does anyone have this happen to them or am I just privileged?
I had one time where that happened to me as a cashier. I'm decent at math, but I got kinda rattled and wasn't really thinking straight.

Iris

rainbow 11!
Some of it is pressure. At least once a night at my 2nd job I come across looking like an idiot because I try to make change and can't figure it out. I stand there like a complete moron why I figure out what's the change on $18.34 if they gave me a $20. I am very fast with math and on the other side of the register I never, never ever have a brain fart. Something about being on that side that makes a difference.
It is completely true. When I'm on that side of the register, I freeze and start to panic. I'm already horrible at math, but usually when it comes to counting change, I'm perfectly fine. Unless I'm put on the spot like that. I just... it's so terrifying! I suddenly can't figure out what two plus two equals.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
It is completely true. When I'm on that side of the register, I freeze and start to panic. I'm already horrible at math, but usually when it comes to counting change, I'm perfectly fine. Unless I'm put on the spot like that. I just... it's so terrifying! I suddenly can't figure out what two plus two equals.
Yeah, last week I was stumbling around and had a kid that was probably 9 tell me - "You owe me $3.56, sir". How embarrassing. :lol:

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Yeah, last week I was stumbling around and had a kid that was probably 9 tell me - "You owe me $3.56, sir". How embarrassing. :lol:
LOL! How cute.

I guess I just never had issue with it. If I didn't punch in the correct amount that they gave me, then I could do the math in just a second. I could take the sum from 100 and just go from there. More complicated math I am terrible at. Last week at work I was trying to figure out the cubic square foot of something, and that got me all flustered.

I worked at that place for 2 years, and did end up being a window cashier, which is the one that counts all the other cashier's money and balances out their tills.

Unity

Change the World
Staff member
That's all definitely true and a big part of it, IMO. Takes me back to my days of working at a frozen custard store. When you do something wrong, you often don't realize you're doing it or how you got to that point. Math on the spot can freeze some of us just from intimidation, lol, and when you're in a fast-paced situation it can be tough.

I think that another part of it is just that everyone doing that kind of work makes a mistake every now and then. Nobody's perfect. Just because you encounter someone that messes up doesn't mean that they're doing it all of the time. It just always seems to be a part of the game.