• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Cash sought for Cam Newton

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Cam Newton offered for cash in exchange for signing letter of intent, ex-Mississippi State quarterback said - ESPN

I know this is a few days old, but I'm surprised no one posted this. I know there's still a lot of holes in the whole storyline, but it's still interesting at the moment.

A lot of people are saying that people from the University of Florida leaked the story. People are saying that Newton's family probably got paid twice, by Florida initially and by Auburn the second time.

If ever there was a school that needed a difference maker immediately, it was Auburn.

Thoughts?

BigBob

Registered Member
I'm pretty sure the reason no one has posted about it is because no one believes it. I don't believe any of it, so I don't care to read too much more into it. I believe he did nothing wrong and people he doesn't know is trying to make money off of him.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Why don't you believe it?

Personally I believe every Major Colleges cheats but it's worse in the SEC.

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I'm not sure I believe this story. I will wait for more facts before making judgment. Bizzy is right though. Most of the SEC schools do some pretty shady things just because there's so much pressure to win in that conference, so it wouldn't really surprise me if the Cam Newton rumors are true.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Bizzy is right though. Most of the SEC schools do some pretty shady things just because there's so much pressure to win in that conference, so it wouldn't really surprise me if the Cam Newton rumors are true.
Agreed on all fronts, like I mentioned earlier Auburn has some motive to cheat to get Newton. I think whoever leaked the story knew about it for a while and just waited till Auburn was on top to release it. I'm definitely keeping up with this story since I'm a fan of Cam and I enjoy watching Auburn play.

BigBob

Registered Member
There's some players you can look at and say, yeah... he definitely did it.. and then there's some that you can look at and say, no, he didn't.

I believe, and like I said this is just what I believe, the guy was trying to make money off of somebody who wanted nothing to do with him. Could it be that this guy asked Newton if they could do this together, Newton said no but the guy still went ahead with it and now he's trying to say they were in it together just to get back at him? or get money from him when he goes pro?

There's a lot of scenarios that could have happened, but this is what I believe. I believe he had nothing to do with it.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't think we've seen the last of this story. I really hope Newton is innocent and he is innocent until something is proven.

I really hope it's not true because Auburn is having such an awesome season. Even with the question marks and the distractions they've gone out and won but we'll see if they are able to beat Alabama or not.

Vincent_Valentine

Studley-Do-Right
I'm kinda late into the discussion, but I'll still throw in my two cents. I think that this just set a horrible precedent that is going to be exploited like crazy. This will open the gates for parents to act basically like agents for their athlete children. All the athlete has to do is play ignorant and it will be no different from this situation on paper, as long as they are smart about it.

I saw an article awhile ago (can't find it now) about how USC is really pissed off about this ruling, because it goes against what they were told to tell their student athletes, which is that, for all intents and purposes, the parent is the student, and if they mess up, the student will be punished.

The cynic in me thinks this has to do with the fact that the NCAA wanted a team from a major conference in the championship game over TCU, so they went super light on Newton and Auburn. It wouldn't be the first time that they ruled lightly in favor of a major program (Alabama should not have a football program last year according to how NCAA rules are written, but that's a different story) and I doubt it will be the last.