TV Cartoon Show Revivals

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Barbara, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Barbara

Barbara Ess Tii Eph Yu V.I.P. Lifetime

It seems like every time I turn around a new cartoon from my childhood is facing an uprising again. From My Little Pony to Transformers, Carebears to GI Joe, it seems like my entire childhood is being rehashed. How do you feel about these revivals?

To me I wish they would let my childhood stay in the past. I remember when I went to see Transformers in theaters there was a 7 year old or so child standing behind me in line. He turns to me and asks where my child is. I told him that I did not have a child and was here to see the movie myself. He gained this puzzled face and bluntly said "But your old." All I could do was laugh on the outside but inside I felt like I was going to die of old-age any second. Stop making me feel old dammit!

2. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

I actually dont mind it...since I'm familiar with them already it makes them feel special to me. Let me re-live my youth a lil bit.

I know some ppl hate it but I kinda like it.

3. Barbara

I wouldn't say that I hate it per say but It's not on my list of favorite things. Anything that makes me face the fact that I'm getting older is a horrible thought indeed. I also wish that they wouldn't mangle some already good story lines and create their own.

4. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

I like it.

Earlier today I was in the store looking around at the toys because my nephew's birthday is coming up soon. I saw The Smurfs dolls and mushroom houses and accessories. I have to say, I spent more time looking at those then I did looking for a gift for my nephew. The childish girl in me wanted to totally buy the Baker Smurf's shroom and play with it.

5. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

I feel ya...when I turned 25 all I heard about was how I was a quarter of a century years old now...that was lame.

That's awesome...I'd be the same way.

I hear they are making a new Ghostbusters movie...I'll be all over that. Same as if they made another Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie.

6. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

I see nothing wrong with it. The shows are always going to be popular, and thus they'll constantly change things around to appeal to the new youngsters of today (because MONEY MONEY MONEY).

And if it makes you feel any better, in 20 - 30 years time, those same kids will probably look at the latest version of the cartoons they watched and think the same thoughts you are.

I don't have that problem, though. No one wants to touch Ren & Stimpy for some odd reason...

wolfheart likes this.
  7. Nibbles

Nibbles meep

One day my children and I can watch those shows together, share their joy, then I wouldn't feel that old.

8. Barbara

When I turn 25 the first person that says that to me gets a nice piece of Whoop Ass pie with a nice side of Know Your Rolls. . . Seriously it's bad enough suffering through another birthday without the constant reminder of getting old.

Also I heard that the new movie was suppose to be in video game form. As far as I've heard that is their only plan to continue the franchise at this point.

I understand wanting to make money and appeal to the youths of today. I mean if I owned a popular franchise I would do the same thing. If the formula keeps working why fix it, right? But I do wish that they could at least continue the old storyline for us old-timers. Even if it was in such a way as to make it seem fresh.

A small consolation though a consolation none-the-less.

9. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

As far as I'm aware, there is going to be a game and a movie.

One problem with that; we're no longer their target audience. Kids would be more likely to watch the new shows because it's the first they've seen of it, they have no background knowledge of the whole thing, so they can start anew. Meanwhile the kids of yesteryear, having grew up with all this, are likely to complain about how the new series' are being taken, continuity errors, and other things that contradict with what they knew.

Why try to appeal to a fanbase that will moan and whine when you can appeal to a new fanbase who will see it as new and awesome?

10. Barbara

You can still do it in such a way that it would still seem new and awesome. I mean people are going to bitch and moan regardless right? May as well go the direction I want them to go in. =P