Carry Job

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's a pretty common term in pro wrestling jargon. You have a superior wrestler carrying a lesser talented wrestler to a much better than expected match. For that one match, the bad wrestler looks good, while the good wrestler is praised even more.

A common misconception in my eyes for carry jobs is that it's incapable to have a great match that's a carry job with a terrible wrestler. In order to have a really good match, you need too really good wrestlers. So in the case of say, Ultimate Warrior vs Randy Savage (WM 7), there's no way Savage could put on such a great match if Warrior was as bad as some believes him to be. It just so happens that Randy knows how to work with Warrior and that Warrior got to be in a longer than norm match.

Mr Kennedy vs Shawn Michaels - Armageddon 2007
The Undertaker vs Batista - Wrestlemania 23
Virtually every Vince McMahon match
Kurt Angle vs Shane McMahon - King of the Ring 2001
Chris Benoit vs Orlando Jordan - Great American Bash 2005

Everyone in bold helped their opponent produce a better match than they were able to.

Shooting_Palanx

The Rock is cooking atm..
Yeah, it's sad imo that you have to make the other guy look good, even though you're the dominant wrestler in that respect.

Also didn't Kurt vs Shane in No way Out? Or am I mistaken? lol

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yes you are mistaken it was King of the Ring, it's one of my favorite matches of all time. Shane held his own, but if it wasn't for Kurt angle that match would be shit compared to what it really is.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
The two guys that I immediately think of as guys who carry other wrestlers is Shawn Michaels and Kurt Angle. Chris Benoit is another one but he's dead to me in all aspects of wrestling.

Its important to have guys like this. They are the best of the best.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree with you Millz that it's very important to have wrestlers like this, I think that Bret Hart was good at this, especially against bigger wrestlers. That's one thing that I really respect from Bret is that he could carry matches with the worse of them.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree with you Millz that it's very important to have wrestlers like this, I think that Bret Hart was good at this, especially against bigger wrestlers. That's one thing that I really respect from Bret is that he could carry matches with the worse of them.
I think of the way MIchaels made Sid look and the way Hart made Kevin Nash look.

Its just not easy to do and those two did excellent.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think of the way MIchaels made Sid look and the way Hart made Kevin Nash look.

Its just not easy to do and those two did excellent.
Bret vs Diesel is one of my favorites, not a lot of people that are Bret Hart size can have a great match with people Diesel's size but he did an acceptional job and carried the match and made it look brilliant.

Same thing with Michaels even though I'm not a huge, huge fan of that match, I still believe Shawn did a heck of a job carrying Sid.