• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Careful with the word ads....

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
The other day, I accidentally clicked one of those words ads (popped up in front of me :-/).

It went to a website that was predominantly blank, but said "Toolbar download required! No Spyware!" (yeah right... :urp:)

I clicked Back to get back to the thread, but a message box pops up, and says "Download required!!"

I clicked the |x| in the top right corner to avoid clicking "ok", and it pops up with another message box --> "You want to download? Click cancel to continue! Click Okay to continue!"

These message boxes popped up for every button in Firefox, from bookmarks, to history, to Alt+F4, to Ctrl+Alt+Del and End Task!!

I was about to cut the power to my computer, but I managed to get Firefox to glitch out, and pop up with the annoying "We're sorry, but Firefox has encountered a fatal error, blah blah blah"

I figured I should make a heads-up that some of those ads apparently aren't entirely honest....

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
That happened with me once too, I can't remember how I eventually browsed away from it but it was seriously lame.

Nixola

Boom Boom Pow!
i accidently clicked on one of the word ad things and it took me to a pop up but i just clicked the X button to close it and it did close. it was surprisingly simple to be honest maybe too simple -.- for that sort of ads lol

Tucker

Lion Rampant
You're positive that you tried Ctrl+Alt+Del? I haven't run across an ActiveX virus pop-up yet that could thwart the launch of a non-browser app like Task Mgr.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
You're positive that you tried Ctrl+Alt+Del? I haven't run across an ActiveX virus pop-up yet that could thwart the launch of a non-browser app like Task Mgr.
I'm dead serious. Ctrl+Alt+Del (task manager) was the first thing I tried after simply closing Firefox normally wouldn't work.

When I clicked End Task, the minimized Firefox restored itself and just popped up with the same damned message boxes.

I was as shocked as you are!

I tried a few times, and it finally just glitched itself out, luckily. :lol:

Tucker

Lion Rampant
I'm dead serious. Ctrl+Alt+Del (task manager) was the first thing I tried after simply closing Firefox normally wouldn't work.

When I clicked End Task, the minimized Firefox restored itself and just popped up with the same damned message boxes.

I was as shocked as you are!

I tried a few times, and it finally just glitched itself out, luckily. :lol:
Whoa, that's insidious. I won't be tempted to click on any of those ads.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
That's pretty ridiculous. I think Hybrix needs to get rid of the word ads for everyone. Luckily I don't have to see them since I'm VIP. Honestly, I wouldn't join a forum that has them.