• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

career change advice?

nibs

hello everyone,
new to the forum here and just wanted to get some advice...
i've been wanting to go back to school for an IT degree, but am having a hard time choosing b/t a masters degree or a BS. I already have a BS in Meteorology and Oceanography, but i would like a career change.
I've always been the go to guy in the office for computer questions just because i love to tinker with them and i seem to know more than my colleagues. I've had no formal training with computers or networks, but i would love to make it my career.
i guess my question is... would i be lost going straight into a masters program? should i get the BS first and go from there?

please help,
nibs

Mr_Snipes

Registered Member
Well, I guess I have to ask. What would you be looking to get your degree in? There are many areas of IT: Programming, Networking, Game Design, Graphic Design, CAD/CAM (Computer-Aided Drafting/Manufacturing), just to name a few.

How much knowledge do you have in the area that you want to get into? Do careers in that particular field of study require you to have a BS or MS or just a lot of experience?

If you don't have a lot of experience in the field that you are looking at, you wouldn't want to try going for an MS right away. Also you might want to find a friend, co-worker, relative, or someone that you know that works in the field of study you are looking at, and see what they have to say about what is needed and maybe even to gauge how much knowledge you have of paticular field of study.

Alan

Registered Member
It is always to perform those jobs in which you are really interested...So go ahead for a career change.. Well if you are confident enough, i would suggest you to go straight away in doing Masters degree. Confidence holds the key for success and hold it tightly. Best of luck!