• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Career advice

Laine

Registered Member
Soon I will finish high school and until recently I had no idea's about what I want to do with my life. I mean I would dream of being a famous singer but the reality is there are much better singers in the world. Also I need to attend college to stay in the USA and there is not so many classes for "Singing 101" lol.

I have been thinking allot about what I want to dedicate my life to and I REALLY want to dedicate to helping others. Not like a nurse but to help people who are homeless or victims of abuse or sexual crimes. I want to make a real difference in people's lives and how they live or think. I do not want a paperwork job where I just sit at a desk and go over papers all day, I want to work with real people who need real help.

I am not sure what this kind of work would be called or even how or what college classes I would need to do something like this. So, if you can understand what it is I am wanting to do and have any advice, please pass it along to me.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
There is a need for psychologists, they help people that are victims of sexual abuse or other problems that they need help dealing with. If you wanting to work with the homeless maybe you could help some them for free or work someplace that deals with them.

I don't think most of the music stars can sing any better than you can. You do better than a lot of them. They can make them sound even better in a studio.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
Sounds like you may want to look into being some kind of counseler? Maybe working for a charity or non profit is probably where this would be.

I'll say this though. Most people change what they want to do halfway through college. Just stay open to changing course. Even if the change is only small. I rarely meet people who are doing what they thought they would be doing when they graduated from high school. I'm certainly not. If you think that is what you go for it and see where life takes you.

Best of luck.

Elanor

Registered Member
I have been thinking allot about what I want to dedicate my life to and I REALLY want to dedicate to helping others. Not like a nurse but to help people who are homeless or victims of abuse or sexual crimes. I want to make a real difference in people's lives and how they live or think. I do not want a paperwork job where I just sit at a desk and go over papers all day, I want to work with real people who need real help.
Over here in the UK we have special refuges where women who are victims of domestic violence can go. In these places they can feel safe, and get themselves back on their feet. They are also able to take their children there. I don't know if something like that would appeal? Over here people can volunteer in these places, they are subject to criminal checks. I am not sure what sort of courses they run in US colleges, but if they do them, courses that relate to Social Care could be useful, or as already has been suggested, something that can lead to becoming a counsellor.

Laine

Registered Member
Thank you for the advise everyone. I have been talking about this also with my sister who said next week she is taking me to the local community college to talk to someone about what they offer and what types of classes I may need to take.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Sounds like you want to be a social worker. At least by the definition of what a social worker here in Canada is. In the states, it might be called something different. Basically working with homeless people or victims of abuse/tragedy. Helping them cope, being a friend, and essentially helping them get a leg up on life. I think you'd be wonderful at doing that! You definitely have oodles of compassion towards those who are suffering. Your empathy and sympathy will go a long way towards helping you help others. I hope you find the answers you need when you go to the community college.
------
Also, sorry to double post, I wanted to add. Don't give up on your singing! You do have a great singing voice. It comes from a passion for doing it, so it's naturally going to be great. Its true, pursuing a career in music is very risky and not very profitable unless you get lucky. However, no matter what career you end up in, I would encourage you to keep singing as well. Its a gift you shouldn't waste. There's ways to use that gift to help the people you wish to help as well.

Last edited:

Taliesin

Registered Member
Whatever you decide to do, Laine, I say just GO for it. You have the will, the tenacity, and brains to take on anything you so desire! I think you'd make a great social worker/counselor/psychologist!

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
I think Danny's right in that it sounds like you're interested in social work. As someone who works in very close proximity to social work and all the different people that go along with it (security at a very large inner-city hospital and mental health institution), my advice would be to do your research very carefully. It's a tougher trade than anyone really acknowledges.

You said you want to: "make a real difference in people's lives and how they live or think." The reality is that it's exceptionally difficult to actually change the way a grown adult is prone to live and think, that it can really be a struggle to eke out a genuine victory, and that most people in need don't even want the help and refuse to admit there's even an issue; in a lot of cases, even the fleeting moments of success people do find for themselves are lucky to make it so far as that very same evening.

I'm definitely not saying you shouldn't do it, but I do think it's something you really need to be prepared for; not everyone can handle the amount of failure it takes to build a genuine success. It truly is something you have to dedicate yourself to. I think it can be a rewarding career choice, but it's one of those things you have to have realistic expectations going in.

I'd suggest trying to speak with actual social workers, and people in jobs that you could see yourself doing; speaking with the college is helpful too, but you always have to remember that they're selling you a product and might just tell you only what you want to hear.