• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Care to give your thoughts on a song?

Brent

Registered Member
So I thought I'd finally post something in the musician's lounge. After long dry spell, I finally made a song today. I've never been very good with titles :lol:

Sun Dog (Original Music) - YouTube

Okay so not a song by definition, but you know what I mean!

I've been making music since 2006 as a hobby. Maybe one day I'll share one of my earlier songs with you guys. By the way, they're laughably bad!! I am happy to report that I'm a little better now than I was in 2006. I still use the same software too, Noteworthy Composer, which came out in 1994 when I was less than 1 year old! I'm not using an updated version either. To be fair though, I only use Noteworthy to write the songs, then I edit the "MIDI" file with a more modern day program; Ableton Live.

Anyway, before I start to ramble, what do you think?

Taliesin

Registered Member
Honestly, I love it! This reminds me of the kind of music one might hear in the Metroid Prime games. Seriously! I'm in awe of your songwriting talents!

What programs have you been using to create such wonderment? Is it just the two you've already mentioned, or are there also freeware ones that I might tinker with as well?

Brent

Registered Member
Honestly, I love it! This reminds me of the kind of music one might hear in the Metroid Prime games. Seriously! I'm in awe of your songwriting talents!

What programs have you been using to create such wonderment? Is it just the two you've already mentioned, or are there also freeware ones that I might tinker with as well?
Thanks for your kind words!!

*I'm gonna assume you know what "MIDI" means*

Well, I've only ever used Noteworthy for writing songs. (Actually before that it was Mario Paint on SNES :lol:) There's probably some free MIDI making software out there somewhere. I could be wrong, but I think there's a free version of Noteworthy, it could just be a trial though.

I used to use Synthfont which is a good freeware for editing MIDI files if you do find a program.

dDave

V.I.P.

:shocked: It's SO good :)

^I mean exactly what I said there.

It does seem like something you'd hear in Metroid Prime (and I love Metroid Prime like no other). The styling is exactly (and I mean exactly) what I'd hear there and the quality is absolutely fantastic.

You should write music more often and if you can write stuff this good all the time then you ought to consider a career in music.

I've got a friend that uses Acid Music studio. I have never used Noteworthy nor have I don't any work with MIDI files (though I do know exactly what they are). I may have to look into it because making music is sort of this hobby idea I've always had and I never jumped on it (I do have plenty of other cool hobbies though).

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I love it Brent, you are a very talented person.

For some reason I think of deserts, camels and Lawrence of Arabia.

Brent

Registered Member

:shocked: It's SO good :)

^I mean exactly what I said there.

It does seem like something you'd hear in Metroid Prime (and I love Metroid Prime like no other). The styling is exactly (and I mean exactly) what I'd hear there and the quality is absolutely fantastic.

You should write music more often and if you can write stuff this good all the time then you ought to consider a career in music.

I've got a friend that uses Acid Music studio. I have never used Noteworthy nor have I don't any work with MIDI files (though I do know exactly what they are). I may have to look into it because making music is sort of this hobby idea I've always had and I never jumped on it (I do have plenty of other cool hobbies though).
Ha! great use of the "Show Spoiler!" button. That was great :lol: Thank you.

I suppose it does have a Metroid Prime vibe what with the theremin / whistle or whatever you want to call it.

I love it Brent, you are a very talented person.

For some reason I think of deserts, camels and Lawrence of Arabia.
:arabia: Wow, that's actually just what I was going for; a desert sort of theme. Thanks! And I've been meaning to watch Lawrence of Arabia, but I keep putting it off.

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
Ha! great use of the "Show Spoiler!" button. That was great Thank you.

I suppose it does have a Metroid Prime vibe what with the theremin / whistle or whatever you want to call it.
That very characteristic sounding whistle just reminds of of Metroid so much that it's hard for me to even think about anything else. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42u0KB6f5eU

You can see where I'm drawing some similarities there.

I suppose I can see it as having a desert theme but looking at it as a theme from something in space just seems more like it to me. :)