Care and Maintenace of Your Collection.

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by Nightsurfer, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Nightsurfer

Nightsurfer ~Lucky 13 strikes again~

Hi and welcome to the care and maintenace of your collection.

As many of you know I'm a huge collector. I also restore toys that have been damaged.

So the first tip I will give you is " How To Take Scratches Or Fog Out Of Clear Plastic"
    Step one Clean the plastic with 409 then wipe down with warm tap water. Be sure to use good paper towells.They don't leave any fibers behind.

Next make sure plastic is dry. Then you will need Unscented Pledge (no cheap stuff) spray the pledge all over the plastic (spray thick coat) let sit for one min exactly. Then lightly rub the plastic in small circles (Wax on Wax off) for another min. Then wipe off. ((Repeat as many times as nessairy)) until clear or scratches are gone.

Till next time ... Happy Collecting

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

So you can probably relate with the guy in Toy Story 2! :) Do you do that type of stuff? That looked pretty hard to do.

3. Nightsurfer

Yes and more. :lol: It's a great way to get peices for your collection. Also it's good to know if you are going to resell the item. Presntation is 75% of the sale.
    You don't know how many toy sellers don't clean their merchandise before they sell them. And wonder why it sold low or not at all.

Till next time .................... :warp:

4. SamusAran86

SamusAran86 Registered Member

thats really good advice for people who keep "complete" figures... how bout those of us who have discoloration if "open" figures... like Star Wars Stormtroopers.. they seem to discolor easily... is there anything to be done about that?

5. Nightsurfer

Yes. First clean the toy with 409. (Use good paper towels). Next repeat the process with citrus cleaner (GOO BEGONE). Becarefull if you leave the citrus cleaner on to long you could remove the paint.((NEVER USE ON CLEAR PLASTIC))
    It will fog it real bad bad. Repeat the process until satisfied or the toy is no longer yellowing.
    Then you spray the toy down (make it look like frosty) with Pledge (unscented). Let stand for 1 min then rub the white foam allover the toy. Let stand another min then wipe away. you now have a clean and shiny toy.

You should do this every year to year in a half. Also if you smoke you need to get a real good air filter in your room with your collection.
    Smoke will yellow toys and so will direct sunlight.

Till next time...........Happy Collecting

6. SamusAran86

SamusAran86 Registered Member

thanks for the info... I need to do those to most of my packages/toys just finding the time, and haveing to take it down piece by piece would take me about a week!!

7. Nanner

Nanner Registered Member

Cool thread! Thanks for the info! (you have stock in 409? :D )

8. Nightsurfer

Hi and thank you all for the great response. If you have a tip feel free to share with the group. Till next time.................... :warp:

9. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Speaking of 409, this is my 409th post.. Wow. I need to stop posting for a while! :lol:

And very nice topic. I am going to try some of this on some collectible stuff I have and see how it goes. :)

10. TwilightDawn

TwilightDawn ~Bus Driver's Pet~

I have a porclin doll that has a broken foot...my cat nocked it off the shelf I had her on. what do you suggest I do for her foot. She is a beautiful doll, even if she does give my husbend the creeps. Do you have any Ideas on how I can get her fixed?

Nightsurfer likes this.