Cards re-sign Kyle Lohse

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
The St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that Kyle Lohse was scratched from his final scheduled start Sunday because he's close to signing a four-year contract extension with the Cardinals.

"We're close, and that played a part in why I didn't go out there," Lohse said. "I would have liked to pitch on the last day, but there's other things going on." According to the newspaper, the deal is expected to be "similar to the four-year, $48 million contract signed by Carlos Silva with Seattle last winter."
That's alot of money but that's the going rate...I'm happy to have him back. If Carpenter and Wainwright are ready to go that's a pretty good rotation with him and Wellemeyer as well.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
That is a lot of money for Lohse. I was really surprise on how well he pitched this season. I know he had a decent career with the Twins, but went downhill with the Reds, but seems like he found his winning touch this season.

Vegito728

Registered Member
Wait, we spent money? Hooray! This is a good sign.

But really, I'm glad we re-signed him. He was definitely one of our best pitchers this year and if Carpenter can get healthy we'll have a very nice rotation. I'm still not sure about Pineiro though.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Lohse pitched 200 innings, won 15 games and had an era of 3.78 with Dave Duncan as his coach. I think that was of the reason for his success. I look for him to be our #3 next season.

salsanchezfan

Registered Member
Dave Duncan has saved many a career. I remember when Lohse was with the Twins. He could never keep the ball down and gave up a lot of hits because he couldn't command the zone. Under Duncan's tutelage, he's a different pitcher, an innings eater who keeps the ball down.

He saved Kent Bottoenfield's career, Todd Wellemeyer's career, Dennis Eckersley's career, Dave Stewart's career, and many countless others, and oddly enough, Duncan never was a pitcher. He was a catcher in his playing days.