• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

MLB Cards - Matheny's bullpen management

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Overall, I'm happy with Mike Matheny as a manager for the St. Louis Cardinals. We're all homers and want him to succeed here in St. Louis. However, my primary complaint is Matheny's bullpen management. He has a trait of leaving guys in for far too long because he's loyal (a double-edged sword). He also sometimes (IMO, at least) gives guys too many chances game after game when they're going through cold streaks.

For Cardinals fans or those that follow the team, any thoughts on Mike Matheny's bullpen management pros and cons?

VJ_Sportsgeek

Well i mean leaving a guy in there for a long time and going with him on a daily basis is only to make that pitcher gain confidence, regardless of whether hes on a cold streak. The only way to break out of one is to put more reps in. And in terms of leaving them in there for long, I personally like that idea because now a days managers tend to blow up their bullpen by making 4-5 guys pitch in one game. Im fond of the idea of allowing a guy to go 1+ inning out of the pen