Cards keep Warner, James wants out

BigBob

Registered Member
The Arizona Cardinals and Kurt Warner agreed Wednesday to a two-year, $23 million deal, with $19 million of the contract guaranteed.

When it comes to the NFL's all-time passing records, Kurt Warner rates among the very best. Here's his place in some notable all-time catagories:

Under the terms of the deal, Warner will receive a $15 million signing bonus and $4 million base in each of the two seasons.

"Kurt and I are appreciative of the way the [team GM] Rod Graves and the Cardinals resolved the negotiations," said Warner's agent, Mark Bartelstein.

The negotiations ran all Tuesday evening and early Wednesday morning. One of the big breakthroughs came Tuesday when Warner, who had been asking for $14 million to $16 million a year, reduced his asking price to $11.5 million a year, as long as there were substantial guarantees in 2010.

He was also willing to take $1 million less a season if the team successfully satisfied the contract extension demands of wide receiver Anquan Boldin.

The Cardinals didn't initially like the structure of Warner's reduced contract because it paid Warner $13 million in 2009 and $10 million in 2010, of which $6 million was guaranteed. They felt that it meant Warner would be guaranteed $19 million of his $23 million, figuring he wouldn't be cut in 2009 after helping to take the team to the Super Bowl. In the end, they agreed to guarantee all but $4 million of the contract and assure Warner will be the Cardinals' starting quarterback the next two seasons.

On Monday, Warner flew by private plane to San Francisco to visit the San Francisco 49ers, who outlined the parameters of a contract that would be for more money and more guarantees than the Cardinals were willing to offer. Though the 49ers' offer was not firm, Warner knew he could come close to his idea of being paid like a top-five quarterback, which, in his view, is the $14 million to $16 million range.

Warner has been performing like a top-five quarterback since taking over the Cardinals' starting job from Matt Leinart on Oct. 14, 2007. He has thrown 53 touchdown passes in his last 27 starts as the Cardinals' starter. Last season, he completed 67.1 percent of his passes and threw for 4,583 yards. In four playoff games, he completed 92 of 135 passes for 1,147 yards for 11 touchdowns and three interceptions.
Way too much money I believe. I know he's good.. but.. I just think it's ridiculous.

Arizona Cardinals halfback Edgerrin James contacted Cardinals general manager Rod Graves on Tuesday and pleaded with him to be released, according to a source.

Edgerrin James rushes for 33 yards and has 28 more on pass receptions in Super Bowl XLIII.
James, who was benched in the middle of last season, is entering the final year of his contract and is scheduled to make $5 million. He had lost his job to Tim Hightower, so he figured he would be released by the first of March.

James' concern, the source said, is that he's entering the free-agent market too late, with a number of potential options already closed. Derrick Ward took away a chance to go to Tampa Bay when he signed a four-year, $17 million contract. Cedric Benson re-signed in Cincinnati on Tuesday with a two-year, $7 million deal. Fred Taylor took away an option in New England when he signed a two-year, $5 million deal.

James assumes he's not going to be with the team this season because he figures Hightower will be the starter and the Cardinals wouldn't want a $5 million backup. But as of Tuesday night, James remains part of the Cardinals.

James has rushed for 12,121 yards during his NFL career, including 1,159 and 1,222 yards during his first two seasons with the Cardinals. Last year, he had only 514 yards on 133 carries.

He is 30 years old and is entering his 11th season.
He just wants bigger and better things. He's not starting so he wants out.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Wow I am really surprised that he got a two year contract and that much money, but I think Warner is a quarterback that won't have any problems playing when he's old. I dont know why James wants out, maybe because Hightower took a lot of his carries, that's the only reason why I think he would want out of Arizona.

teron

Registered Member
Fine that he wants out, but a 30 year old HB doesn't really pull in too many interests unless he can prove to stay healthy.