Cardinals sign Holliday to 7 year contract

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
I want Matt Holliday back in St Louis like all other Cardinal fans but 8 years is ridiculous! He'll be 37 when that deal is done.

I dont see him finishing his career here but maybe I'm wrong. Of course, he hasnt signed anything yet either.

Thoughts on offering guys this many years? Crazy to me.

Cards Offer Most Lucrative Deal In Team History To Holliday

By Zach Links [December 14 at 11:10pm CST]

The Cardinals have offered Matt Holliday a deal which would pay him $16MM per year and could extend through eight seasons, writes Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. It's unclear at this point how many of the seasons are options years - if any. As St. Louis is anxious to reach a resolution, those familiar with the talks believe it possible that Holliday could reach a verdict before Christmas.

This proposal dwarfs the average value of the 7-year, $100MM contract Albert Pujols inked in the winter of 2004. Of course, the average value of Pujols' next contract will likely overshadow the pitch made to Holliday.
Strauss writes that the Yankees may be the most dangerous variable to the Cardinals, despite their insistance that they are not pursuing Holliday. With Jason Bay pointed towards signing with the Mets and the Red Sox inking Mike Cameron, two potential suitors are presumably off the chase.

Last edited:

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I heard this earlier and thought it was insane. But then again, he is the type of guy you'd like to lock up for awhile.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Do you have the same thoughts about having salary cap now?

I think eight years is good for a few players, Holliday being one of them. He's just hitting his prime now and he has a lot of great years left in him. Other than that error he made in the playoffs, he was exceptional for the Cardinals. He said that he likes playing there and if I was a Cards fan I'd really hope he would accept this contract.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
I heard this earlier and thought it was insane. But then again, he is the type of guy you'd like to lock up for awhile.
Yeah, he really is. I wonder if the final two years would be option years and if there will be an opt out clause or anything.

Do you have the same thoughts about having salary cap now?

I think eight years is good for a few players, Holliday being one of them. He's just hitting his prime now and he has a lot of great years left in him. Other than that error he made in the playoffs, he was exceptional for the Cardinals. He said that he likes playing there and if I was a Cards fan I'd really hope he would accept this contract.
My thoughts on a cap don't change at all. If Holliday signs we'll still be under 100 million dollars in salary.

I hope he signs it. I mean we got out of the Scott Rolen contract so eh, why not. Pujols, Holliday and Ludwick is something I'd like to see for a number of seasons.

Wade8813

Registered Member
8 is obviously a lot, and 37 is on the old side, but lots of players are really productive at that age.

Ironically, the more interesting part of this to me might be the mention of Bay looking like he's heading for the Mets :hah:.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
I am so happy its over. We all knew he was going to get more per season then Jason Bay got. Its less then what I thought he was going to get though so I can't say I'm upset. Wainwright and Carpenter; Pujols and Holliday. I like our chances to say the least.

Tejada might be next to come aboard...him or felipe lopez.

Here's another note on a possible 8th year...

The Matt Holliday news just keeps on coming. According to Jon Heyman on Twitter, the newest Cardinal will receive an eighth year at $17 million if he finishes in the top-ten of 2016's MVP voting.

This isn't too scary for the Cardinals. If Holliday is still producing at that level seven years down the road, he will be worth every penny. Plus $17 million may not seem that outrageous of a sum in seven years, the way salaries in MLB are inflating.

http://www.jdsport.com/index.html?di...4447-3-0-.html

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Tejada would be a great addition, he still as a strong arm, his defense is still better than most, he doesn't hit the amount of Home Runs he use to but that's expected since he's off the sauce. He finds the gaps really well and he's good at getting on base.

Felipe Lopez would be another good addition, the only thing about him is that he's inconsistent. One week he'll make everyone think he's an elite shortstop with his playing, then another week he'll make you ask why he's in the Majors.