• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

carbs good or bad?

redroses

Registered Member
alot of people seem to have a problem with carbs i personally dont see the problem. as a vegetarian i eat a lot of pastas and enjoy them i dont think i would be able to give up carbs as its such a large part of my diet any vegetarians here against carbs? and why are others so determand to avoid them?

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
You can't say whether carbs are good or bad.
Our body needs everything, even carbs. As long as you eat them in a moderated way, then it won't cause any harm.
Our body needs them for energy so they are an important part of the way we eat.

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
As they say, everything in moderatation. Carbs are probably seen in a negative light by most because everyone knows most of our energy comes from carbohydrates and if you eat an excessive amount and don't burn it you'll likely put on weight.
There are also different types of carbs, simple and complex. I think simple are the kind that are bad for you, and complex are generally good.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I've always gone by the rule of Variables.

If you have no time to exercise and find yourself physically idle the majority of the time, then Carbs arent the greatest idea.

If you do have time to exercise, then they arent a bad idea.

All in all, I believe its "excess eating" that is the biggest problem. I see people eating 4 pound Burritos with Beans and Rice on the Side. 1 pound Burgers doused in Cheese, Fried Onions, and all kinds of other goodies. But you next to never see someone cut that portion in half and be content rather than stuffed to the brim with the whole thing.

That to me is the biggest fault of American Obesity.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Good carbs are good, bad carbs are bad.

Good carbs = unrefined carbs such as whole grains. Bad carbs are highly refined, such as sugars and white flour.

koipen

For most people, carbos aren't a problem. But for losing weight, they aren't very good: carbohydrtaes cause the generation of insulin. Without insulin, you cannot store fat. No insulin = no fat.

But yes, in general life they won't hurt you.

NeoCaesar

Registered Member
If you have no time to exercise and find yourself physically idle the majority of the time, then Carbs arent the greatest idea.

If you do have time to exercise, then they arent a bad idea.
I couldn't agree more, if you are physically active then carbs are essential. As everone should be active as part of a healthy life their balanced diet should include carbs. I'm bias here because I'm a runner and potato is my friend. :)

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I went on an Atkins diet before, not because I needed it but I wanted to see if I can last days without carbs. It held the idea that low carbs are better for metabolism. Whether it was really good or not, I tried it out and noticed some instant weight loss. But my fave foods are high in carbs and I couldn't stand the water and diet sprite regime for drinks anymore so I moved to normal eating. I think in the long run, it could just be very unhealthy for me. But if I needed a quick diet, why not. I think the 6pm diet is more effective though than cutting down on carbs.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Cutting carbs is unhealthy, in the long run. My sister did the no carb thing for a few months, and her body started making unnatural changes. She didn't get her period anymore, and had passed out a few times. She also had a lot of problems thinking clearly and doing day to day tasks.

She did lose weight, but after the experience she said that it wasn't worth it, and that she would rather lose weight in a more healthy way without cutting carbs completely.

koipen

You can't say whether carbs are good or bad.
Our body needs everything, even carbs. As long as you eat them in a moderated way, then it won't cause any harm.
Our body needs them for energy so they are an important part of the way we eat.
Why does body need carbohydrates? You can get all the energy you need from fat, protein and vegetables.