• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Discuss Carboot/Yard Sales

Bliss

Sally Twit
I am going to sell some things at my first carboot sale this weekend. It is being held in the car park of a local pub and costs £5 for a pitch. My friend is coming with me as she has some stuff to sell as well. We're going to split our earnings, if we make any haha.

I am not sure what people from other countries would call this. Basically you take your car and set up shop in front of the boot/trunk of your car. You put a little table up with things on it that you wish to sell. Shoppers will browse what's on offer and there's usually heaps of other cars as well.

Have you ever bought anything from a car boot sale? Have you ever sold anything? How much did you make?

Last edited:

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I remember back in Cumbria we used to have carboot sales every sunday, they were great, I always remember being able to pick up cheap computer software or second hand video games. I need to find one in Liverpool as I want to find one that may sell second hand camera equipment etc.

Good luck with the sale :)

dDave

V.I.P.
I've never heard of a sale like this, are they common in the UK?

People do things called "garage sales" and "yard sales" around here. Basically you take stuff from around the house and sell it from your garage and/or yard. These kinds of sales happen all the time and people will put up signs around their local area to attract attention to their sales. One of the advantages to a sale like this is not only that you can sell more stuff but you can also have furniture available.

I visit these sales on occasion and find some rare treasures (the greatest thing I found was a SNES in good condition with 2 controllers, Super Mario All Stars, and DKC 2 for a grand total of $7)

Last edited:

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Indeed, sounds like a yard/garage sale. My family is planning one this summer, we have so much shit stored away and collecting dust. It's a good way to open some space at home and make a few bucks on the side.

Bliss

Sally Twit
I have a question for you, seeing as how I am really new to this.

My friend has said we should split our earnings, but she is selling a lot more than I am. However, some of the things I am selling may be priced higher than hers. What's your take on it? Obviously it'd be hard to keep track on who made what, unless we had separate money tubs, but it seems pointless. Is it normal to split the takings 50/50?

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Just make sure you don't sell a pot plant for £1 in a one of a kind Lalique glass vase...

Priceless Antiques Roadshow - YouTube

Personally I wouldn't go the 50/50 route, but it might be an ok idea for your first go at a carboot sale. I would hate it if I ended up feeling like I should have and could have gotten more. But it will also be an experience for you both. Let us know how it went.

Misdoubt

Registered Member
I've gone to a few yard and garage sales but they are just so uncommon where I am that I never really get to go to any. The whole centralized thing of them being in a car lot with a number of different people just sounds awesome on it's own!

I normally take the Amazon, Craigslist, and Liquidation routes for both buying and selling.

Bliss

Sally Twit
Well it was an absolute disaster yesterday! We turned up early to secure a spot and were surprised to see there was only one other stall there. We set up shop and not a single person came over to snoop from the other stall, even though I read it's really common for that to happen.
We had such a variety of stuff, I was sure a lot of it would sell.

As time went on, the only other people to set up were from a charity and they were selling cakes, doing a raffle and hosting a couple of games. There were literally no other stalls so it wouldn't look attractive to anyone passing by.

We were there for a good three hours and I'd say we only had 10 people come and look at what we had on offer. I was really disappointed, especially considering it took ages to load and unload the car. It was also really hot so it was a pretty uncomfortable day!

So, what did I sell?
My mum bought a meerkat toy from me that she fell in love with for £5 (lol), my friend I was running the store with bought three DVD's from me for £6, and an old lady bought a handbag and a jewellery box from me for £3. That's it! I had to pay £2.50 for the pitch and I bought two drinks during my time there. All in all I was disappointed, but I hope to go to a proper one in future.

dDave

V.I.P.
I'm sorry to hear it was a bad day Amy. Whenever you're selling stuff I guess there's no guarantee that you'll sell anything.

No harm in trying again though. :)

I hope you find the proper one that you're looking for!

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
That's unfortunate. Sorry to hear that. Do you think it was just a bad day and that on other days there will be more people who sell things other than baked goods? Or would it be better to look for a different spot next time?