• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Carbon emissions 'will defer Ice Age'

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Human emissions of carbon dioxide will defer the next Ice Age, say scientists. The last Ice Age ended about 11,500 years ago, and when the next one should begin has not been entirely clear.Read More Here
Considering the temperature outside I have my doubts about us ever having another ice age. At night I am seeing bugs flying around and its January. Where I live it should be only in the teens or twenties with snow on the ground then gradually creeping above freezing, not 60.

I have read that it is possible for northern countries to become much colder if the gulf stream stops from having so much fresh water dumped into it from the melting of the glaciers. That might create a ice age of sorts.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
This kind of change happens over hundreds of years, so even if we were headed straight for another ice age, I'm not particularly worried about it affecting me within my lifetime.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
When I took geology in college it was one of my absolute most favorite courses. Because it was right during the height of all this ice age climate change scare.

Essentially I'll bring up James Hutton. Hutton was a Scottish man who had a hobby in Geology. Had he been born 200 years later he'd be considered a Geologist, so...why is he important? I mention Hutton because of his longstanding and scientifically proven theory of "Uniformatarianism" meaning simply what happens today, happened in the past. And he was correct, with the only flaw in this being that of changing Rates in which events happen.

Check out the Ice Core Readings from the Soviet Station Vostok in Antarctica, CO2 concentrations in earth's atmosphere move with temperature. Both temperatures and CO2 have been steadily increasing for 18,000 years........Ignoring these 18,000 years of data "global warming activists" contend recent increases in atmospheric CO2 are unnatural and are the result of only 200 years or so of human pollution causing a runaway greenhouse effect. Incidentally, earth's temperature and CO2 levels today have reached levels similar to a previous interglacial cycle of 120,000 - 140,000 years ago. From beginning to end this cycle lasted about 20,000 years. This is known as the Eemian Interglacial Period and the earth returned to a full-fledged ice age immediately afterwards.

I dont think I have to go into how over 99% of change in Global Greenhouse Effects are due to Natural process, (0.28% is Man-inspired)

All in All... James Hutton is just laughing in his grave wondering why nobody ever brings up Uniformatarianism.

adb007

Registered Member
tbh, there are so many factors which cool the earth as well as heat it up. and the ridiculous statistics about global warming such as 'oil will run out in 40 years' (I doubt that because one of my contacts who worked on oil in liblya said that they have 150 yrs worth of oil if we double our rate of usage. And they have only explored 2% of their desert for oil and there is a LOT more to be found.) and that 'the ice caps will melt by 2020'. I cannot make a sensible conclusion until we start getting sensible 'facts'

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
When I took geology in college it was one of my absolute most favorite courses. Because it was right during the height of all this ice age climate change scare.

Essentially I'll bring up James Hutton. Hutton was a Scottish man who had a hobby in Geology. Had he been born 200 years later he'd be considered a Geologist, so...why is he important? I mention Hutton because of his longstanding and scientifically proven theory of "Uniformatarianism" meaning simply what happens today, happened in the past. And he was correct, with the only flaw in this being that of changing Rates in which events happen.

Check out the Ice Core Readings from the Soviet Station Vostok in Antarctica, CO2 concentrations in earth's atmosphere move with temperature. Both temperatures and CO2 have been steadily increasing for 18,000 years........Ignoring these 18,000 years of data "global warming activists" contend recent increases in atmospheric CO2 are unnatural and are the result of only 200 years or so of human pollution causing a runaway greenhouse effect. Incidentally, earth's temperature and CO2 levels today have reached levels similar to a previous interglacial cycle of 120,000 - 140,000 years ago. From beginning to end this cycle lasted about 20,000 years. This is known as the Eemian Interglacial Period and the earth returned to a full-fledged ice age immediately afterwards.

I dont think I have to go into how over 99% of change in Global Greenhouse Effects are due to Natural process, (0.28% is Man-inspired)

All in All... James Hutton is just laughing in his grave wondering why nobody ever brings up Uniformatarianism.
I'm afraid we might need to check our facts again because current courses I'm taking suggest that the current sources of CO2 are heavily anthropogenic. Yes, nature does contribute CO2 to the atmosphere via volcanoes and respiration/decomposition, etc., but in order for nature to match the amount humans are dumping into the atmopshere, a Mt. St. Helens eruption would have to happen every 2.5 hours.

Basically, the next ice age was diverted once humans began to farm. The planet was on its way into another ice age. The records show it, but the agricultural revolution kicked in and the trend suddenly takes a turn for the other direction.

There's not really a question of whether or not we should be in an ice age or not, but how we can lower atmospheric CO2. The Earth did experience a time when there were no frozen ice caps and sea levels were about 100 meters higher, if I remember correctly. Of course that wouldn't be as much of a problem except that we have millions of people living in coastal cities.