Carbon Canyon walk pics

Oooh_snap

Living on the 0th floor
V.I.P.
Those are really nice pictures! I love the third to last one; those flowers are really neat. Looks like a fun place to go. You saw no mountain lions I take it?

Tucker

Lion Rampant
Those are really nice pictures! I love the third to last one; those flowers are really neat. Looks like a fun place to go. You saw no mountain lions I take it?
Thanks, snapzy! Yeah, I had never seen anything like that little bugger, lol. For a moment there I had the sense of being alone on an alien planet. I'm really happy that someone commented on the shot - good eye! :1eye:

Cougars and their bobcat cousins keep a wary low profile around people there. Tracks may be found crisscrossing the trails, but according to a chart at the ranger station, there hasn't been a face-to-face mountain lion sighting at the park since October of 2006. And in that encounter, I'm sure that the animal was as chagrined and eager to scram as the human. Squirrels and cottontail rabbits are falling out of the trees at Carbon Canyon, so the thought of attacking anything our size would probably seem pretty unappealing to the spoiled local cats. I was on the lookout mostly for quicksand, which I have stumbled into there before, and bitey things sized snake and under. My only bugaboo all told, though, was some minor dehydration after the scenery drew me in a lot farther than I'd planned.

Granted, it isn't the most breathtaking layout in California, but it's just ten miles from here down Lambert Road and that's a big plus. I'd definitely recommend Carbon to someone who likes to get out and away from buildings and cars once in a while and just breathe easy.

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Nice pics, Tucker. Looks like there's some really interesting plants there. That's one of the things I like about deserts (well, maybe the only thing I like about them). The webbed flower is cool. And whatever those green things are a couple pics below.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
Nice pics, Tucker. Looks like there's some really interesting plants there. That's one of the things I like about deserts (well, maybe the only thing I like about them). The webbed flower is cool. And whatever those green things are a couple pics below.
Thanks, Hoes. I winced a little when I saw that a real hiker/photographer had commented in this thread, but it looks like I got away easy, haha. The green things that look like armored pimento olives are pods containing castor beans, which, unless you fancy a slow and excruciating death by ricin, would be about the last seeds you'd ever want to put in your body.
------
Amazing pictures!!!!

But these are my favorites.
Thank you, Ellzy! I think I can see why you corralled those three. A few, like them, seem to go a half step beyond merely documenting a space. Art is the ultimate goal, after all!

Last edited:

RJ-Cool

"Expect the unexpected"
Beautiful pictures bro! When I saw the warning about mountain lions I was kinda hoping you had one in the lot but, maybe next time. Great pics though!

Tucker

Lion Rampant
Beautiful pictures bro! When I saw the warning about mountain lions I was kinda hoping you had one in the lot but, maybe next time. Great pics though!
That's nice of you to say, RJ, except for the part about wishing lions on me. :lol:

Funny enough, as far as capturing wildlife on camera goes, I found better luck the next night at the edge of an ornamental duck pond about twenty feet from my own door.

Dabs

Registered Member
Very nice photos indeed~
Altho when I saw the sign of the mountain lion warning, my ass prolly would have turned back!
I have been to the Grand Canyon, many years ago, way before they built the new walkway view.