• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Car versus animal

shelgarr

Registered Member
One of the worst things that can happen is when you accidently hit an animal. There's the squirrels, an rodents, and swooping birds that make us all flinch. But when it's a cat or dog, it goes to a whole new level. Even when I see it happen to others or an animal is in the street, I nearly have a panic attack. We come to the big animals and our own lives are at risk. If you can share a story, without reliving the trauma, what have been some of your experiences?

stripes

Registered Member
I'm very fortunate not to have hit a domestic animal (yet), but as an animal-lover I'm not keen on such things happening to any animal.

As yet, I've only hit one bird, which I expect died. Rather, it hit me, flying low into the road and straight into the side of my car as I was travelling along. I heard a thud, and saw the bird bounce off the road out of the corner of my eye, but it was small and I lost sight pretty quickly.

I've had a few near misses with cats, running out into the road, but always manage to have these experiences when I'm the only car around and can safely slam on the brakes. I've also almost hit a badger when it strolled out in front of me (again, I could slam on my brakes), and have had a few near misses with pheasants , including one that flew away from my path and then back into it, to land again as I was travelling at a fairly high speed. I slammed on my brakes that time, and it instead flew into the path of a car in the opposite lane. I think they avoided it, too.

I don't know what I'd do if I ever hit someone's pet. I'd have real trouble getting out of the car and dealing with the body to find out information about an owner, and wouldn't have a clue how to break the news. I'm also horrified at the thought of half-killing something, and knowing that I'd have to put it out of its pain.

BigBob

Registered Member
I've never hit any kind of animal and I stop for all of them. I'm very aware of my surroundings at all times while driving so it hasn't and probably won't ever be an issue for me.

Dabs

Registered Member
I have hit a squirrel and ran over a couple of snakes before. But I've never hit a dog or cat, thank goodness.
I have hit a deer too, smashed up the entire front end of our car, it was back when I was a married person. Coming home late one night after one of my son's basketball games. I saw the deer, and I started to slow down and slowly pull over to the right, the deer was in the middle of the road.
But it saw my headlights, and came straight towards me. I couldn't avoid it. The deer died, but all my children were Ok.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
We have lots of turtles where I live and I have rescued countless, big snappers are the coolest.

Once I almost crashed my car on the highway trying to avoid a racoon that kept changing it's mind which way to go. I was fishtailing down the highway at 70mph and hit it anyway. Since then I try to avoid animals, but not to the extent I once did. It is not worth crashing your car and the potential to injure one's self to avoid a hapless critter.

Another time I passed an elk standing on the snowbank of the interstate at 75mph. It was about 8 - 10 feet from the driving lane and since it was snowing I didn't see it until it we were right there. Those things are huge and if it had decided to jump out in front of us we would probably be dead.

Hiei

The Hierophant
One of the worst things that can happen is when you accidently hit an animal. There's the squirrels, an rodents, and swooping birds that make us all flinch. But when it's a cat or dog, it goes to a whole new level. Even when I see it happen to others or an animal is in the street, I nearly have a panic attack. We come to the big animals and our own lives are at risk. If you can share a story, without reliving the trauma, what have been some of your experiences?

I don't think that's one of the worst things that can happen. There's plenty of worse things that can happen.

That aside, I've never hit a cat or dog with my car, but I've hit plenty of animals and small woodland critters. When I lived in PA I'd look like I was drunk if I swerved to miss all of them. Chipmunks, squirrels, skunks, hell even a groundhog once or twice. Meaty little creatures, groundhogs. I needed to get a front alignment after that one. Skunks suck to hit, too. Smell lingers for like a week.

TradedMyPearls

Registered Member
I've never personally hit an animal, thank goodness. I don't think I'd be comfortable ever driving again if I ever do. I totaled my first truck avoiding a puppy. When I was around six my Mum hit a rabbit and I looked out the back window and saw it rolling on the road, I cried the rest of the day and I still have dreams about it occasionally.

Bliss

Sally Twit
I can't drive but I've had a few lessons in the past. A fox ran out in front of me once and I stopped for it. My instructor told me off and said I shouldn't stop but I couldn't bare the thought of hitting it. It was one of the last lessons I had. I was nervous enough without him raising his voice.

Hiei

The Hierophant
You know, I've been thinking about this randomly since yesterday, and I totally have hit a cat or two with my car. Actually, off the top of my head, I've ran over three just in the time I've lived in Arizona. Oddly enough, it's always been at night and the cat just ran straight under my tire. I'd feel the bump, look in the rear view mirror, and sure as shit, there's the cat laying in the middle of the road.

I've also hit two birds with a vehicle. About four or five years ago I was working as a medic and I was driving the ambulance to a call (going downhill, lights and sirens) when a bird fly's straight into the grill. That bird exploded. When I got back to the base after the call, I had to clean out all kinds of feathers and bird gore from the grill.

The second time I hit a bird I think the bird misjudged how fast I was going, or something cause I hit it hard enough to where I heard it hit my car, but I didn't kill it. Flew right out in front of me and I hit it with the top left area of my windshield.

I just realized that I've hit quite a few animals with my car. One might say that I need to watch where I'm driving, but I say that those animals should watch what's coming!

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't recall ever hitting a bird dead on but there was one time I was on the highway and one, like an idiot, fell into my windshield. I saw it flopping around on the road from behind me. It scared the crap outta me.

I believe I've hit a squirrel one or two times with my car when I couldn't get out of the way. Nothing I could have done about it.