Car or Computer?

Discussion in 'Autos' started by Mirage, Jan 31, 2009.

?

How would you split $3,000 for a car and a computer?

1. All $3,000 goes towards a car and you have no computer.

5.9%
  2. $2,500 for a car, $500 for a computer.

23.5%
  3. $2,000 for a car, $1,000 for a computer.

35.3%
  4. $1,500 for each.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. $2,000 for a computer, $1,000 for a car.

23.5%
  6. $2,500 for a computer, $500 for a car.

5.9%
  7. All $3,000 goes towards a computer and you have no car.

5.9%
  1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Would you rather have a decent car and a crappy computer or a nice computer and a crappy car and why?

Yes, answering this questions one of two ways will confirm your spot in the book of nerds.

I hate to say it but as cool as having a nice car is, as long as it gets me where I need to go I'd rather have a nicer computer and a crappy car than a great car and a crappy computer.

Obviously the best of both worlds is ideal but that's not the question. ;)

For the sake of the poll I've put dollar amounts on your options so it's clear what you are selecting from. You have $3,000 to spend on a car AND a computer. How do you split it up? I say $3,000 as your total budget because with much more it would be way to easy to split it up, given the price of computers these days.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I'm not sure how to answer this. I mean I don't care about having a fancy car or anything, but I do think it's important to have a reliable car that won't break down on you. $3000 isn't a whole lot to spend on a car, but I would never spend $3000 on a computer.

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Well that's why I picked a lower budget to use in the OP. I basically picked the price of what would be considered a top of the line gaming PC (around $3,000) so the spectrum could at least compare to a cheap decent car.

Obviously if the budget was $5-10,000 it would be really easy to toss a bit aside for a computer since cars don't differ too much in performance when you get closer to $10k give or take. The difference between $500 and $3,000 however is the difference between a piece of junk and a fairly decent car that will last a while if you keep it tuned.

4. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I would spend $500 on a computer, which is enough to get a computer that can do what I need it for, and put $2500 towards a car. I could never spend more on a computer than a car. I don't really do anything on them except use the internet.

5. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Everything goes to the computer and none to car. I don't need a car. The rare times I need it, I just rent.

6. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

Lets say £2,000 for a motorbike and £1,000 for a computer. I can't see myself using all of that £1,000, you can get good high end rigs for roughly half that. So whatevers left goes towards the bike.

7. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

I voted $2k for the comp and $1k for a car.

A car for me is little more than a run around, if it gets from A to B safely and consitently then it is sufficient.

Meanwhile a computer for me, the more powerful and capable the better. I put my current machine through its paces, I use a lot of heavy going software and need the added grunt that a high spec computer offers.

Thinking about it a little more I'd probably split the money in half. Cars are rarely reliable, whilst I can make the money go a long way with a computer.

8. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

Actually, I changed my mind, £1,000 for the computer, £1,000 for the motorbike and £1,000 for the car for when I need to do something not really possible on a bike (say, for example, shopping). I'll take a hit on the quality.

9. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

2K for the car and 1K for the computer but then again I'd like to see what you actually could get a car for even 3K these days lol

10. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

Right now my answer would be that all money would go on a computer as I can't drive and have no need for a car at this moment in time.