Cantaloupe

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Do you eat it?

It's one of my favorite fruits...but I always make a huge mess when preparing one.

How do you skin/dice/whatever your fruit? Do you follow certain steps? Cut first, then skin...skin first then cut? Cut in half first, scoop out the seeds?

What is your method?

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also, do you have a particular method about picking one out when you purchase?

Last edited:

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I cut it in half, then scoop out the seeds. then I take the halves and cut them in to crescent shapes and make cuts in those at 1/2 inch intervals, then run the knife between the rind and the fruit, so i've got chunks.

when I'm picking one, first I feel whether the rind has any give. If it's really hard, I put it back. If it has a little give, then I thump it and if I get a good thump (it should sound thick and fluid-y, not a hard "thock"), I smell the part where it came off the stem. If it smells good and fruity, it's a good one. Another thing I look at is how flat the vein-like things are on the rind - if they're really flat, it's perfectly ripe.

it's one of my favorite things about summer.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's one of my favorite fruits as well, but I have no clue how to cut it in pieces and such. I usually buy it already prepared, or someone cuts it for me. I also like to dip it in chocolate sauce sometimes. But I like it just like that as well.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I always cut it wrong...but I was always trying to skin it whole. I bet it's easier to cut the rind off of the smaller pieces. I'm going to try that next time.

When picking it out at the store...normally all I do is sniff where it came off the stem, like Jeanie said.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I love cantaloupe but my favorite "summer" fruit is honeydew melons.

Both are awesome for hot days.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Cantaloupe is one of my favorite fruits, but it has to be perfectly ripe. I've never actually gone shopping for them so I don't really know what to look for for a good one. I cut them into big wedges and then just eat it with a spoon. No need to remove the skin. Just scoop out the melon as you go and leave the skin when you're done.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I love cantaloupe but my favorite "summer" fruit is honeydew melons.

Both are awesome for hot days.
I agree... but instead of loving Cantaloupe I really am not that big of a fan of it personally. I dunno why, maybe it's cause its more sticky or something.

I think Honeydew is better, but thats just my opinion.

Cait

Oh, poppycock.
I cut them in half and scoop out the seeds. After all the seeds are gone I cut the halves into small slices and eat at them like that. I do that with most round fruits like watermelons.