Can't Change Desktop.

Discussion in 'Computers' started by dDave, Feb 7, 2008.

1. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

Alright here goes.

I have had this problem for a while now but haven't ever posted about it since it isn't a real "problem" i just really want to know how to change my desktop.

I'll just list out all of the things that I have noticed.

1. If I go to properties, desktop, then I cannot select any of the desktops because they are all shaded out it won't let me click on anything in the list.

2. If I right click on a picture that I want to make my desktop the computer thinks that the command went through and it probably did but the desktop just stays the same color as it already was.

3. The only thing that I can do is change the color (one single color) of my desktop by going to properties, desktop, change color, and then it will let me change the color of what I want to be behind my picture for cases such as the picture not completely filling the screen this color function is built into windows to show on the parts of the desktop that aren't filled with the picture.

4, if I click log off or switch user I can see my desktop (the one that I have most recently selected) for a couple of seconds once the color disappears but then it just doesn't stay up.

I am thinking that there is a thing in windows somewhere that allows you to switch out these 2 things to make the background color dominant over a picture. But I don't remember ever changing any like this or of the sort.

That's about all that I know

I use Windows XP Professional SP 2 (service pack 2)

Any help would be great, I sort of have an idea of what's wrong and I am great with computers.

2. Hanzo_Hattori

Hanzo_Hattori For the Horde!

I have the same thing!! D:, But go to Customize desktop>web>new>browse for the pic> select it>Ok>Rezise to your screen lock it and there you go :),

3. dDave

that doesn't even work for me, the problem is even deeper.

4. Hanzo_Hattori

Hanzo_Hattori For the Horde!

Aww shiz, At least i tried :)

5. dDave

I know that it's just a setting for my account that is wrong because on another account it will let me change my desktop, but I don't want to switch accounts due to the location of some immovable files because my computer is stupid when I don't watch what's going on so starting a new account is out of the picture I tried this and it wouldn't work, and I'm smart.

6. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Is it in some sort of safe mode?

I know I'm stretching, but this is an odd problem.

7. dDave

where would I check to see if it's in any type of safe mode?

The computer works completely fine except for the fact that the computer won't let me change the desktop that is the only problem that it has whatsoever to any extent, I have never had any problems with anything else at all.

Yes it is an odd problem that's why I posted it becaues after a few months I still couldn't figure it out.

8. ATARIGUY

ATARIGUY Beermister

Try the following if the picture you want on your desktop is a .BMP

1. locate the picture
    2. double click on it
    3. click on file drop down menu
    4. click on set as wallpaper centered

9. dDave

Ummm definitely not I already tried that too.

Any possible "normal" way to change my desktop has already been tried.

10. ATARIGUY

ATARIGUY Beermister

What make is your computer ?? HP Dell Gateway Compaq.......

Try their email support as I have an HP and their email support is awesome.