• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Discuss Canceled Travel Plans due to COVID-19

dDave

V.I.P.
Anybody have any travel plans that had to be rescheduled or canceled due to COVID-19?

My wife and I saved up the money and had plans to visit New Zealand this year. We were hoping to go in the summer. Luckily, we did not purchase any airline tickets or a book a hotel by the time everything started shutting down. We were on the verge of pulling the trigger but now we're very glad we didn't commit just yet. Guess we'll hold onto the money and use it later for a fun vacation.

I had actually scheduled to go to a friends wedding in Michigan but that had to be canceled for obvious reasons. They just eloped and get it over with.

Anyone else have travel plans that got messed up due to current events?

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Opposite. I've got $6000 in AirBNB credit that I've got to use this year before it expires and am planning the trip of a lifetime out west. The AirBNB prices right now are incredible and the credits are good for stays and experiences! Because of covid, the trip will be longer, stay in nicer places and do more things.
We actually have Colorado Springs on the short list. Want to drive Pike's Peak. Hopefully the other parks will be open by June.

dDave

V.I.P.
Opposite. I've got $6000 in AirBNB credit that I've got to use this year before it expires and am planning the trip of a lifetime out west. The AirBNB prices right now are incredible and the credits are good for stays and experiences! Because of covid, the trip will be longer, stay in nicer places and do more things.
We actually have Colorado Springs on the short list. Want to drive Pike's Peak. Hopefully the other parks will be open by June.
Yo! That’s my area!

I think you can still drive up Pike’s Peak. Bear in mind everything on top of the mountain is closed due to coronavirus.

Just remember to let your cars engine do most of the stopping for you. A lot of people get on that mountain and just burn their brakes off. Try to take it slow too, a lot of people that come from lower altitudes tend to get really sick due to the rapid elevation change and the winding road.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Yo! That’s my area!

I think you can still drive up Pike’s Peak. Bear in mind everything on top of the mountain is closed due to coronavirus.

Just remember to let your cars engine do most of the stopping for you. A lot of people get on that mountain and just burn their brakes off. Try to take it slow too, a lot of people that come from lower altitudes tend to get really sick due to the rapid elevation change and the winding road.
I've been worried about the brakes and elevation. But I don't think we could go out west and not do Pike's. I've never seen anything like that.

dDave

V.I.P.
I've been worried about the brakes and elevation. But I don't think we could go out west and not do Pike's. I've never seen anything like that.
It’s easy, just put your car in a lower gear and let the engine do the braking for the most part instead of your brakes. Make sure you have good brakes on the car before you go though. They have a brake check station and will force you to park and take a break if your brakes are too hot.

As for elevation, just drink a lot more water than usual and wear sunglasses even if it’s overcast. The sun is no joke out here. Thinner atmosphere makes it much brighter.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Myself, Rebecca, my sister, her son and my parents were all going to England in June to see the Cardinals and Cubs play in London. The game was already postponed to next year.

We still have tickets to go to the UK but I think we'll end up cancelling it. We'll see how things go before that.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I had no plans set in stone but was hoping to hit a few sporting events this year. That's definitely a no-go for a (long) while.

Impaired

Registered Member
My family was going to come for my 60th birthday.

Now, not so much. I had planned to go see Yes and Alan Parsons in South Carolina, but COVID cancelled the show.

We like to go to the French Quarter Festival in New Orleans, my little sister's was married there and we do trips every other year or so. Not this year.

MainerMikeBrown

Registered Member
This spring or summer, I was thinking about renting a vehicle and travelling to Aroostook County in Maine, which is the northernmost county in the Pine Tree State. Their's not much up there. But I've never been that far north before.

However, at this point, I may have to postpone making that trip until maybe this coming fall.

dDave

V.I.P.
I’m getting a little nervous that I won’t get to use my vacation time on actual vacation. I was way too busy last year and didn’t travel anywhere. If this goes on for a few more months I will hit my accrued vacation cap at which point I either take vacation or lose it. I’m at 16 days of PTO (vacation time) and I’m not allowed to hold more than 22.5 days which I will hit in less than 4 months. If my June trip to Michigan gets definitively canceled, I will gain 2 spent days back on top of my current balance, bringing it to 18.

Our New Zealand trip was supposed to eat up at least 6 or 7 days.

Maybe I’ll just take a week off and landscape the yard!