• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Canadians “always carry a chip on their shoulder”

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
From the WikiLeaks dump:

A trove of diplomatic cables, obtained by WikiLeaks and made available to a number of publications, disclose a perception by American diplomats that Canadians “always carry a chip on their shoulder” in part because of a feeling that their country “is condemned to always play ‘Robin’ to the U.S. ‘Batman.’ ”

But at the same time, some Canadian officials privately tried to make it clear to their American counterparts that they did not share their society’s persistent undercurrent of anti-Americanism.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/02/world/americas/02wikileaks-canada.html?_r=1&hp

This article makes me quite mad to be honest with you. I never thought that way and never saw that side of other Canadians either. That said, I was curious to know if most Americans here believe Canadians think this way, curious to know what foreigners think too.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
From the WikiLeaks dump:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/02/world/americas/02wikileaks-canada.html?_r=1&hp

This article makes me quite mad to be honest with you. I never thought that way and never saw that side of other Canadians either. That said, I was curious to know if most Americans here believe Canadians think this way, curious to know what foreigners think too.
The State department uses that Batman/Robin comparison way too much:
WikiLeaks cables: Dmitry Medvedev 'plays Robin to Putin's Batman' | World news | The Guardian

Anyway, what the State Department thinks of Canada and what the average US citizen thinks is 2 different things. This is my experience at least. I've worked with and around a lot of Canadians and I've never seen this superiority complex. State Department has always been a bunch of jackass-es from my perspective.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've never thought Canadians hated us and I don't hate them either. I'm sure there are some Canadians who don't like the United States and it's hard to blame them. We think we're the end all be all in this world and a lot Americans don't take Canada seriously.

But come on, we're friendly. I make jokes at Canada but I'm just kidding around. I'm sure there are Canadians who hate playing second fiddle to the US but let's be frank about this; everyone does.

(At least we think that way haha)

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
Canada jokes are hilarious :D I have canadian friends and we make fun of each other's countries all the time. Sometimes it's hard to back up the US though.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
generalblue Bathroom Wall 4
Babe_Ruth General Discussion 35
Babe_Ruth Hockey 2
Babe_Ruth Hockey 11