Canadian wrestlers popularity

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Sorry to call you out like this Vilky, but you make this statement way to often for my liking, and I want to know your explanation behind it, and I want to see what other people have to say.

You said this in the Chris Jericho's Future thread:

I always thought - and continue to think - Jericho is only popular due to Canadian support. Him, Edge, Trish, Bret, Christian... heck, even Santino get huge pops whenever the WWE visits Canada. I just don't get it. Is there any Canadian wrestler that they don't like?

No offense but I think that's wrong and an extremely ignorant comment. The wrestlers that you just mentioned except Christian and Santino are some of the best wrestlers in the last 30 years. They all worked their asses off to become great and talented Wrestlers. Edge and Jericho are regarded as two of the best talentes in the business today. Bret Hart is regarded as one of the best wrestlers of all time by many experts.

They don't only get pops in Canada, obviously they'll get loud cheers in Canada, that's where they are born. It's the same thing when John Cena goes to Boston, or when Randy Orton goes to St Louis. It's just common sense when you think about it.

For some reason, I just believe you have a thing against Canadian wrestlers for some reason, I might be wrong but by the way you speak of them at times, it just gives me that impression.

Thoughts?

Here's the thing with Jericho: when he was Y2J and when he debut in the WWF I loved him. I loved his gimmick, style and everything he offered. However... HOWEVER, for the past few years he really dwindled and went downward. He's almost - almost - a shadow of his former self. The typical same promo of calling us "hypocrites", "pandering" and "parasite". As you would see here:

YouTube - Chris Jericho in 5 Seconds
That pretty much sums of current Jericho. His work ethic may be incredible, as are a lot of other wrestlers, yet they don't get cheered for their work ethic. So, that leaves gimmick and ability. To me, his gimmick is extremely scale and he can't play a quality heel. His wrestling ability has dwindled since... probably 05'? Sometime around then he went downhill. Same as Edge. Since returning at the Royal Rumble he isn't what he used to be. The difference as I see between the two is that Edge keeps it fresh and continues to entertain while Jericho is a one hit note. No freshness, no trying new things. Same vocabulary during his promos.

Now, with ALL of that said, remember when WWE went up to Canada a year or so ago? Jericho is a heel and still continued to get cheered. That leads me to believe that the majority of Canadian WWE fans are fan boying any Canadian wrestler. Even though Jericho was born in New York and moved up to Canada... which doesn't really help my argument, just a nifty little fact. Bottom line is I never seen one Canadian wrestler ever get boo'd.

While I consider current Jericho a decent mid-carder, I don't see him as a main eventer. Y2J days? Yes. Now? Nope.

And, if that wasn't enough *points to Santino*.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Here's the thing with Jericho: when he was Y2J and when he debut in the WWF I loved him. I loved his gimmick, style and everything he offered. However... HOWEVER, for the past few years he really dwindled and went downward. He's almost - almost - a shadow of his former self. The typical same promo of calling us "hypocrites", "pandering" and "parasite". As you would see here:

YouTube - Chris Jericho in 5 Seconds
This isn't the topic in hand, were talking about you stating that Canadians are only popular because of the Canadian fans, which I find totall B.S

That pretty much sums of current Jericho. His work ethic may be incredible, as are a lot of other wrestlers, yet they don't get cheered for their work ethic. So, that leaves gimmick and ability. To me, his gimmick is extremely scale and he can't play a quality heel.
It's strange that you say he's not a quality heel, but yet he gets booed every time he goes to the ring, or he cuts a promo. Fans hate him, and that's the main thing when you're a heel. I would say that Chris is one of the best heels in the business today.

His wrestling ability has dwindled since... probably 05'? Sometime around then he went downhill. Same as Edge. Since returning at the Royal Rumble he isn't what he used to be. The difference as I see between the two is that Edge keeps it fresh and continues to entertain while Jericho is a one hit note. No freshness, no trying new things. Same vocabulary during his promos.
I apologize, but I will ignore this comment because I always thought you were bad at rating wrestlers abilities in the ring. No offense.

Now, with ALL of that said, remember when WWE went up to Canada a year or so ago? Jericho is a heel and still continued to get cheered. That leads me to believe that the majority of Canadian WWE fans are fan boying any Canadian wrestler. Even though Jericho was born in New York and moved up to Canada... which doesn't really help my argument, just a nifty little fact. Bottom line is I never seen one Canadian wrestler ever get boo'd.
How many times do I have to say it? It makes sense that a Canadian wrestler will get cheered in Canada since they're from there. Like Cena gets cheered real loudly in Boston. Austin even got cheered in Texas while he was a heel. The quotes post above doesn't hold any ground at all.

While I consider current Jericho a decent mid-carder, I don't see him as a main eventer. Y2J days? Yes. Now? Nope.
Once again, sorry but you don't know how to judge talent.

Last edited:
As another member wrote in a thread I just viewed: Did you ask the question because you wanted to know, or did you ask so you could tell me I'm full of shit?

My opinion is my opinion. I feel Jericho gets much more than he deserves.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
As another member wrote in a thread I just viewed: Did you ask the question because you wanted to know, or did you ask so you could tell me I'm full of shit?

My opinion is my opinion. I feel Jericho gets much more than he deserves.
I'm asking you the question because I want to know your reason behind the statement I quoted in the OP. Which you haven't answered yet.

I just don't believe your statement holds any ground which is why I created this thread. You make it sounds that Canadians only get cheered in Canada, which is totally false. If you follow wrestling than you must know that the Canadians that you mentioned get cheered in United States, China, Europe too.

Santino is one of the funniest wrestlers in the business today, he gets a good crowd reaction wherever he goes, not just Canada.

It's the same thing with Sheamus, he's a huge heel in the business today, but if he goes to Ireland he'll get cheered as he's a face, same thing with Drew if he goes to Scotland. It's just common sense.

Last edited:
Alright, two examples:

Chris Benoit: Double murder, suicide. Still popular even after the event took place. Now, wrestling is more of an art rather than a reality, so fans should take that into consideration when cheering for a wrestler. Now, why do a lot - not all, but a lot - of Canadians hold him up top even after those acts he committed? If he was an American, I can guarantee they would just spat out murderer instead of 'hero'.

Bret Hart - Screwed the WWF 'cuz he wasn't getting enough money. He decided to jump ship and head over to WCW for a brighter future while giving the bird to Vince. The Montreal Screwjob - I felt - was always Bret's doing. His greed got in the way of what was really important, and he decided that the money was much more important than giving a damn about the WWF fans or the business. Why do Canadian fans roar when he comes to town? He screwed over so many people just to get a little more dough. Vince nor the WWF was ever at fault. Bret could have token a pay cut and worked, but nope, he decided to head over to WCW for a brighter future. I mean, hey, I don't blame the dude, make that money. Just... please don't hold your head up high and pretend like you did nothing wrong.

People get blinded by love because of somebody coming from their neck of the woods. If the shoe was on the other foot it would be a different story. I'm on the outside looking in. I see the bias and from time to time I like to chime in on what I see.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Alright, two examples:

Chris Benoit: Double murder, suicide. Still popular even after the event took place. Now, wrestling is more of an art rather than a reality, so fans should take that into consideration when cheering for a wrestler. Now, why do a lot - not all, but a lot - of Canadians hold him up top even after those acts he committed? If he was an American, I can guarantee they would just spat out murderer instead of 'hero'.
Where did you get this information? Any source? I haven't heard any Canadians preaching good things about Chris Benoit. The only time they ever give him props is when they talk about his Wrestling career, which I don't see anything wrong in doing so. Yes, even Americans and other nationalities still consider he had an amazing career, but believe he was a bad person.

Bret Hart - Screwed the WWF 'cuz he wasn't getting enough money. He decided to jump ship and head over to WCW for a brighter future while giving the bird to Vince. The Montreal Screwjob - I felt - was always Bret's doing. His greed got in the way of what was really important, and he decided that the money was much more important than giving a damn about the WWF fans or the business. Why do Canadian fans roar when he comes to town? He screwed over so many people just to get a little more dough. Vince nor the WWF was ever at fault. Bret could have token a pay cut and worked, but nope, he decided to head over to WCW for a brighter future. I mean, hey, I don't blame the dude, make that money. Just... please don't hold your head up high and pretend like you did nothing wrong.

People get blinded by love because of somebody coming from their neck of the woods. If the shoe was on the other foot it would be a different story. I'm on the outside looking in. I see the bias and from time to time I like to chime in on what I see.
Bret Hart isn't the only wrestler that left the WWE for more money and a guaranteed contract. If you're a wrestler and your offered money that the WCW was throwing at you and a guarantee contract obviously your going to jump at it.

Vince was at fault for how he handle the situation, it could of been handled a better way then it actually was. Bret only asked Vince to lose the belt on Raw the next day, which I don't see anything wrong since Bret gave so much to the company and made them so much money.

Bret never screwed the fans either, once again this is a business. Bret had a family and had to put food on the table. He's in a business where you can have it all one day, then lose it all the next day. There's no reason why they should boo him for leaving the WWF to go to the WCW.

Last edited:

Kratzenkov16

Registered Member
the fact of the matter is that if you are from canada you'll get cheered there if you're a good wrestler...jericho gets cheered in canada because he's fucking awesome. he's one of the best heels in the business how or ever and one of the best wrestler now or ever. if jericho sucked i'm not sure canada would cheer him just for the hell of it. and if they did, who givces a crap.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
I find Jericho better now and more interesting now than ever before. He was pretty funny as a face and I liked him but since he became a heel he's been one of the best in the world and he certainly is one of the best in the world. One of my favorites in history.

People are going to cheer whoever the hell they want whether they are Canadian, American, Russian, or Martians. The fact the Canadians love Jericho and Bret Hart? Who gives a crap. Like Kratz' said they wouldn't cheer for them if they completely sucked. Sounds to me like the Canadian fans are very loyal to their own.

Edge, Jericho, Hart, Christian etc...they are popular in the USA and Canada and all over the world. They are popular because they are good. Hart can be partially blamed for the screwjob...he wanted more money, so what? Wouldn't you?

This whole thing is kind of ridiculous IMO. Orton is a good example...I'll always cheer for him and Evan Bourne because they are from St Louis. Is that bad? Why wouldn't I cheer for them??

Unity

#WOKEN
Staff member
Millz makes a great point (with his and my reaction to St. Louis wrestlers).

Another issue I wanted to bring up is that yes, I give wrestlers respect and props if they come from the wrestling tradition of certain countries. Mexico, Japan, Canada, England, etc. It sometimes offers a unique style and does well at mixing matches up and keeping the tradition of pro wrestling one of variety.

That said, people don't get respect because of where they were born. I can think of a Canadian wrestler in ROH right now that isn't anything special. I can think of American wrestlers that are phenomenal (hint hint), but I don't like them because they're American.

It's ultimately the skill and charisma of the wrestler that counts above all else. And Chris Jericho is simply one of the best that has ever been in the business. He can be from Easter Island for all I care.