Can You Have Your Cake and Eat it Too?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
What does the phrase "have your cake and eat it too" mean to you? I think the general consensus is that it means that everything works out for you but it's had multiple interpretations and implied meanings over the course of it's use. It also means "You can't have the best of both worlds" or refers to somebody who tries to milk something for all it's worth.

Have one's cake and eat it too - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do you think it's possible to have your cake and eat it too, in the sense that everything works out in the end, or do you think there will always be something missing?

Answer according to how you interpret the phrase.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Why not allow people to work for whatever they want? If they want to strive for such greatness, let them try. I always thought it was a dumb phrase to be honest. If you have cake, why not eat it? You made/bought the cake, why the hell would you not be allowed to eat it?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Why not allow people to work for whatever they want? If they want to strive for such greatness, let them try. I always thought it was a dumb phrase to be honest. If you have cake, why not eat it? You made/bought the cake, why the hell would you not be allowed to eat it?
Nobody is saying you can't. You're reading into it. I think the idea is that people want the best of both worlds. They push push push for something and finally get it but it doesn't end up how they envisioned it (i.e. they got their cake but can't eat it).

You go to the store, buy a stick of RAM and come home to install it and realize you bought the wrong type. You'd say something like "This figures, I can't have my cake and eat it too apparently."

There are a bunch of times when the saying is applicable. It basically encompasses times when somebody works hard for something or has high expectations for something and it doesn't end up being what they expected.

You can't have the best of both worlds. You can't have your cake AND eat it.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
This one time I bought an external dvd rom drive for my computer because my lap top one had stopped working. I installed the new one and it still didn't work. I waited a couple hours in chat, and somone came online, I can;t remember. But' he told me where to go to find the answer.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
But that's exactly what I'm saying Brix, why not? What's so wrong about striving for the best of both worlds? Why does that seem wrong to people? Are we really just settling for great and not best? Nothing is wrong with settling for greatness, but if you can attain the best, why not?

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Okay, remind me never to try typing a serious post while drunk. I totally thought I was saying something that pertained to the topic. You can delete that post, sorry.

Anyways

I've had a lot of situations where things worked out in the end. I think where I wanted to go with the DVD rom drive thing was this. I was super excited to get it because I finally had a drive that worked. Unfortunately, it didn't work at first. I had this cake, but I couldn't eat it. However, eventually it worked, and I was able to eat my cake.

I still don't see the point of having cake you can't eat. It seems like a silly phrase.

Though according to Wikipedia the phrase means something more along the lines of eating all your cake, and still having a cake.

So by that, then no you can not have your cake and eat it, though I don't feel you're any worse off for having eaten or saved your cake.

It's not buying an incompatible stick of ram, so much as getting what you need, and finding out you need more.

Last edited:

Wade8813

Registered Member
The phrase is "You can't have your cake and eat it TOO". Which is saying you can't eat your cake, then still have it after you eat it, because it's gone.

It's like when a kid always spends his allowance right away, then is upset when he doesn't have enough to buy a more expensive toy, and his parents won't buy it for him.

Stab-o-Matic5000

Cutting Edge in Murder
The phrase is "You can't have your cake and eat it TOO". Which is saying you can't eat your cake, then still have it after you eat it, because it's gone.

It's like when a kid always spends his allowance right away, then is upset when he doesn't have enough to buy a more expensive toy, and his parents won't buy it for him.
Damn, you beat me to it. The phrase means to be happy with what you have. You've eaten the cake, and being cake it's pretty damn tasty. Bitching afterward that you don't have any cake anymore is retarded, because you've eaten the cake, and it was delicious. It doesn't preclude wanting to get more or achieving more, it just means that you should essentially not take what you have now for granted.