• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Can you give me that recipe?

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Do you ever have problems recalling a recipe to give to someone when they ask for it?

My issue when cooking is that I don't measure anything. I just add/cook/whatever until it "looks right" to me. I come up with some amazing food. The problem is when someone asks for the recipe. I never can tell them how to make it because I never measure anything.

I was about to post my chicken and dumpling recipe in the 5 ingredient thread and then realized that there is no way I could describe how much of the ingredients you would need.

I also haven't given up my chicken tortilla soup recipe on here for the same exact reason.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I cook pretty much the same way. Some of this, some of that, until it tastes good.

Bliss

Sally Twit
I asked my sister for a recipe the other day and she said the same thing to me. She doesn't measure anything - she just knows what tastes good.
I am a useless cook.

kitchendame

Registered Member
I used to have that problem; now I just "guestimate" when writing out the recipe for someone, then add a phrase like, "to taste" or "a little more, a little less, maybe"...

It's very similar to the really old cookbooks when measuring was a haphazard affair. Generally people who cook a lot will know what you mean. And I love those recipes; it reminds me that cooking is not always an exact science, some recipes notwithstanding.

Nixola

Boom Boom Pow!
Whenever I'm cooking I always measure things. I'm the sort of cook who needs a recipe infront of her to be honest. I'm not a creative cook in all honesty. I'm crap at guessing what goes with what and how much of it. I'd rather follow a recipe.

So whenever someone asks me for a recipe I can easily give it to them, I would have to look at the book first though to make sure I remembered correctly.

Impact

V.I.P.
Yeah, I have that problem all the time. Before I left NZ, my family wanted a couple of my recipes, and when I wrote them out, it's all a dash of this, handful of that, and enough of this until you think it tastes okay kinda thing. Which is why I suck so much at baking, because everything has to be so precise