Can you get along

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Babe_Ruth, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Simple question here. I was wondering if you can get along with someone that as nothing in common with you?

2. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

Define 'get along.' I have nothing in common with most of my friends and we get along in a sense that we don't fight at all and I see them regularly for the past 14 years or whatever, but it feels claustrophobic and frustrating sometimes.

3. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Nothing in common? Nope.

I do have friends who would probably have a 10% compatibility score with me but we do get along. It depends on what area that 10% is. For example, we may view things differently in all aspects but we both like watching football. So that works. S/he becomes my football friend (as some of my other friends who have 90% compatibility score, hate football).

4. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

I can get along with anyone so long as they're nice to me. I don't have to have anything in common with someone in order to like them. So long as they can still hold a conversation then it's easy.

5. Oooh_snap

Oooh_snap Living on the 0th floor V.I.P. Lifetime

I can get along with anyone for the most part, but if we have nothing in common then they probably are going to need at least a small sense of humor. I would just talk to them about their interests and the things they like, and we could do things they liked, that wouldn't bother me. As long as a person is friendly, then I will be able to get along with them with no problem.

PretzelCorps and wolfheart like this.
  6. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

Yes. I am capable of getting along with someone who has nothing in common with me. I can even maintain a conversation with such a person. Of course, in my experience, such skills are necessary to find people who have things in common with me.

7. viLky

viLky ykLiv

Of course, yes! I worked with people that I had NOTHING in common with. We...(maybe I should put it as them (more than one) and me)) were complete opposites in personalities and how we lived our life. We all showed mutual respect for each other, and we got along greatly while I worked there.

It was basically like a hardcore conservative chilling and working with extreme liberals. We managed to do it, so why can't the politicians? :O

8. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

It depends.
    if "get along" is about hanging out or having a simple conversation..drinking a coffee..once a week ... then yes. i can get along with anyone who doesn't have anything in common with me. as long as the person is friendly and so am i , then yes. i wouldn't mind it.

but i don't think it would be friends with someone like that.
    see... if we talk about things for the first time and we share our different ideas it's ok. ... but i can't stay with the person 24 hours a day or make them close friends because we don't have the same ideas about life and the way things work out. there's no compatibility so i just don't think i would be real friend with that person.
    i wold lose interest because there's nothing we agree with and we would kind of feel uncomfortable around each other. because our beings are different. i doin't see things the way you see and the other way around.

i mean i don't need to have someone i can agree 100% with ... but i also can't stay with someone i agree 0% with .

so if "get along" is just a staying around someone ... it's ok.
    if it's about making friends and including them in your society, no.

9. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

Haha this made me visualise you handing out compatability tests to prospective friends. "And now you have to score at least 10% to be accepted into the ysabel circle of friends. Those with higher scores will move higher through the ranks."

...Sorry I just woke up :shake:

Anyway, I find it impossible to befriends with someone I have nothing in common with. What would you talk about? What you find interesting, the other person wouldn't. Looks like we'd be stuck on the weather.

ysabel likes this.
  10. browneyes106

browneyes106 Registered Member

In the past I have gotten along well with people I have nothing or not much in common with. We just find certain things to talk about.