Can you cook?

Shooting_Palanx

The Rock is cooking atm..
Simple, can you cook? And if yes, what is your favorite dish to make? I come from a culture where the men kind of have to learn to cook, not necessarily but in my household it's nice to learn. I can cook, and my favorite dish to cook would probably be chicken curry and rice with curry paste as the base and seasoned with curry powder. I like it hot lol

Impaired

Registered Member
What kind of curry? There are lots of different kinds, vindaloo, garam marsala, etc.

I love to cook and so does my lovely wife. I tend to cook the exotic things, like curries, stir fries and she does roasts, baked chickens, soups and such. We both like to grill, although she will happily stand in the snow and grill while I wait for spring.

Shooting_Palanx

Don't know the specifics, I use a red curry paste and keens curry powder, which is an orange container. Throw in some garlic mince in there while it's cooking, season the chicken wings which I cut from it's bone, all meshed in together with water added and just let it boil.

Stir Fries were always a challenge for me due to a lack of a wok lol so I did the cheap thing and used your ordinary pan, results could've been better but still went for it, I mean a mans gotta eat, am I right? haha

Impaired

Registered Member
Don't know the specifics, I use a red curry paste and keens curry powder, which is an orange container. Throw in some garlic mince in there while it's cooking, season the chicken wings which I cut from it's bone, all meshed in together with water added and just let it boil.

Stir Fries were always a challenge for me due to a lack of a wok lol so I did the cheap thing and used your ordinary pan, results could've been better but still went for it, I mean a mans gotta eat, am I right? haha
I don't own a wok either, I just use the largest frying pan that I have.

The most important detail is learning the cooking time of the veggies. If I am using chicken or some other meat, I cook it separately.

Carrots and other dense veggies go in first, then onions, peppers, then cabbage or bok choy and finally scallions or bean sprouts that basically don't really need to cook much.

Add the already cooked meat in at the end to bring it all to the same temp.

I really like using jasmine rice that does into the pot at the same time the water does - bring to a boil, simmer for 20 minutes and let stand for 5. perfect rice.

My first stir fry was horrible and we threw it out. Mush with bad flavor.

Impaired

Registered Member
My favorite dish to make is pepper steak (or chicken, or tofu, or whatever)
Ingredients:
Peppers (red, green, yellow, orange)
Vegetable Oil
Protein (steak, chicken, wheat meat, whatever)
Garlic powder
Soy sauce (I recommend Golden Mountain Seasoning Sauce, but any will do)
Corn Starch
Rice - I really like using jasmine rice that does into the pot at the same time the water does - bring to a boil, simmer for 20 minutes and let stand for 5. perfect rice. 1 cup of rice to 1 1/4 cups of water. You can add a pat of butter if you like. I usually do.

I used to use sirloin, then rib-eye and now NY Strip or even filet. If the meat is a cheaper cut, slightly freeze it so you can slide it really thin across the grain. I trim the meat very, very well. Not a fan of gristle or large hunks of fat.

Put the strips in a bowl and coat with corn starch - all the color should be gone, completely coat each piece. Add some garlic powder, if you are fan of garlic. The original recipe didn't have it, but I like it better with a little garlic. Then add soy sauce until all the white of the corn starch is gone and you have a big gluey mess. This is normal and comes apart in the pan.

Slice up two or three colors of peppers (if you can - the more colorful stir fries are, the more people seem to like them) - I like them in thin, long strips that can hang over your fork. The wife likes chunks. We do both. Cook chunks first, they take longer.

Fry the peppers in some oil - you need enough to coat the pan and then a little more. Saute the peppers until they are almost done the way you like them. i prefer a little crispness left in them. Stain them out with a slotted or holed spoon into a bowl.

Fry the meat in the pepper flavored oil. When the pink (or undone color) is just about gone. Throw the peppers back in and get everything hot again.

Serve over the rice and enjoy.

My other favorite thing to make is little pizzas on English muffins. 2 6 packs of muffins makes 24 pizzas which will fill up most oven racks (covered in foil) just about perfectly.

Use tomato paste for the sauce - I spice this with garlic powder, onion powder, dried minced onion, basil, oregano and a little celery seed (not salt)
Mozzarella cheese and whatever toppings you like.
I usually dust the finished pizzas with parmesan or romano (preferable Locatelli Romano) before popping them in a 350 degree oven.

Bake until golden brown. Great left over.

Shooting_Palanx

I don't own a wok either, I just use the largest frying pan that I have.

The most important detail is learning the cooking time of the veggies. If I am using chicken or some other meat, I cook it separately.

Carrots and other dense veggies go in first, then onions, peppers, then cabbage or bok choy and finally scallions or bean sprouts that basically don't really need to cook much.

Add the already cooked meat in at the end to bring it all to the same temp.

I really like using jasmine rice that does into the pot at the same time the water does - bring to a boil, simmer for 20 minutes and let stand for 5. perfect rice.

My first stir fry was horrible and we threw it out. Mush with bad flavor.

Beautiful! Veges always have to go first that's a given, and the thing is that you have to time when to put the meat in and cooking it precisely with the veges as you don't want the veges to be overly fried. Jasmine rice is nice, got that nice smell. I use boiled noodles but most of the time due to convenience and availability. My first Stir Fry wasn't terrible, but it wasn't the best, everyone sort of liked it.

Can you make fried rice on it's own?

Also to your recipes, WOW! If I am ever bothered to gather the ingredients I'll definitely save that up, and the english muffin pizza thing is incredibly interesting! Unique to me! Are the muffins made, or did you buy them in packs? Trying to visualize it lol

AmericanMusic

Registered Member
Well I'm no Julia Child or anything close to chef. But since I changed my oven I now have meals that taste better. I never know that food can taste better from what you use to cook them in. I have an Oster model convenction oven. The food now cooks more evenly and meat became more tender.

Now I make more chicken dishes, pork, steak more often in replace of take out food. That is oven is a blessing in disguise because as we all know take out food should be a last option to eating meals.- Maria

Impaired

Registered Member
Beautiful! Veges always have to go first that's a given, and the thing is that you have to time when to put the meat in and cooking it precisely with the veges as you don't want the veges to be overly fried. Jasmine rice is nice, got that nice smell. I use boiled noodles but most of the time due to convenience and availability. My first Stir Fry wasn't terrible, but it wasn't the best, everyone sort of liked it.

Can you make fried rice on it's own?

Also to your recipes, WOW! If I am ever bothered to gather the ingredients I'll definitely save that up, and the english muffin pizza thing is incredibly interesting! Unique to me! Are the muffins made, or did you buy them in packs? Trying to visualize it lol
I cook the meat first in a separate pan. Cook it until almost done so you can add it in at the end with the veggies.

Fried rice isn't hard - smaller veggies, almost minced, little oil in the pan, once the rice starts frying, make a hole in the center of the rice and crack in and egg and stir it in rapidly. You get some egg coated rice and little bits of egg here and there.

I usually use Thomas' English muffins.

little pizzas.jpg

These are not quite done, you can see the cheese hasn't started turning golden brown, it is just starting to melt.

Shooting_Palanx

I cook the meat first in a separate pan. Cook it until almost done so you can add it in at the end with the veggies.

Fried rice isn't hard - smaller veggies, almost minced, little oil in the pan, once the rice starts frying, make a hole in the center of the rice and crack in and egg and stir it in rapidly. You get some egg coated rice and little bits of egg here and there.

I usually use Thomas' English muffins.

View attachment 2142

These are not quite done, you can see the cheese hasn't started turning golden brown, it is just starting to melt.
What kind of seasoning do you add to the fried rice to make it golden brown? I tried myself and it was a failure lol Ohhh Im an idiot thinking of actual muffins unlike the english ones where it's flat ... now I shall definitely give them a go and show you the result!

Impaired

Registered Member
What kind of seasoning do you add to the fried rice to make it golden brown? I tried myself and it was a failure lol Ohhh Im an idiot thinking of actual muffins unlike the english ones where it's flat ... now I shall definitely give them a go and show you the result!
You can make the rice a nice yellow with a little tumeric, if you want, but mostly it is frying and a tiny amount of soy sauce or sesame oil.

Sesame oil is wonderful stuff for stir fries and chinese dishes, but don't cook with it. Add a drizzle at the end.

I make little Asian meatballs with chicken or pork, using crushed up rice crackers or rice noodles instead of bread crumbs. With minced ginger, scallion and garlic. A little soy, a little Sriracha hot sauce. Drizzle with sesame oil when you serve them.