• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

can not install win 98 or xp

crysswald

i formatted a 3 giga hard drive and i tried to run win 98 se on it but at a certain point it stops and tells me there was an error (error 4)and it will be closed . could it be from the conection(data) cable that makes the error apear or is the h.d. bad?allthow it doesn't have any bad clusters on it .
pls help me on this one:shake:

Last edited:

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
It sounds like you have a bad hard drive. How are you sure there are no bad clusters? How far into the installation do you get the error message and what exactly does it say?

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Also, three gigs is the minimum for installing XP.

What are the stats of the computer you're tying to install it on, they could be a factor.

crysswald

i'm getting at the point at it should run windows(...i managed to install 98 on it) and then the bla bla ...eroor number is 4 apears or if i go to bios and change some settings it goes to error number is 7 and someone else told me it's the h d so i am gonna buy one from someone if i can find a cheeper one of 20- 40 giga and thanck u verry much! respect!

crysswald

Also, three gigs is the minimum for installing XP.

What are the stats of the computer you're tying to install it on, they could be a factor.
it's a 400 mhz processor and 128 m ram but i succeded to instal 98 and still gives me the error number is 4 or if i change some bios settings the err no is 7

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Flash your BIOS, inexperienced people tend to mess with BIOS and it can cause big errors.

Also, errors four and seven both point to a driver problem and has absolutely nothing to do with your BIOS. When you get the error, what file is it pointing two that is throwing up the error?

crysswald

thx but i've solved the mistery the hard drive was doomed cause it got mistreated and i baught a 20 gigs and it worcked from the first atempt like a charm thx anyway. respect