• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Can men and women be just friends?

NellyBell

Registered Member
I think it can happen, but I don't think it happens often, at least not without some history of at least a crush on either side. That doesn't mean anything is ever done about them or acted on though. I do think that while one might want more, it can easily be a fleeting thing that doesn't affect the relationship in the long run. It could also just as easily work the other way.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
Sure they can. My best friend is a guy (who I actually met on Popmalt/GF/Whatevs.) He's my closest friend and confidant for over 4 years now. I have never thought about dating him as I have too much respect for him and he's on the same level as family. Also, I would never want to ruin this friendship ever. Plus, he's like a brother to me and y'know, ew.

CubsMascot

Registered Member
Absolutely they can.. I'm best friends with my ex-husband.. I'm friends with my brothers male friends and my sisters male friends.
The thought of anything going further than friendship on his part will be put to halt immediately. if each party has respect for the other
then you know it is possible to be just friends.

Shooting_Palanx

The Rock is cooking atm..
I'd have to say no because I feel the only difference between a guy and a girl staying friends, and those who don't is the willingness to tell the other how they feel. Even if just a little bit, I feel there is something there between the two. That's just my two cents on it. Ultimately depends whether you keep it to yourself or you tell the other person.

AmericanMusic

Registered Member
I think it's possible to be just friends. That doesn't mean that they don't like each other. When I was single I really didn't want a girl as a friend.
Sometimes I would write to contacts and might like one or another for some reason. When someone is married that can't be part of the picture. I once for example in my late 20's and she was 21. We had differences about life beliefs. We were trying to be friends and at the same time it was like we were trying to get romantic. In the end she took off with her friends and I haven't talked to her in years. I'm glad I'm not single anymore because it's hard for me to be just friends.

MainerMikeBrown

Registered Member
Although I can be friends with a girl who wants to be more than just friends with me, I can't be just friends with a girl who I think is in love with me.

I think it's possible for a man and a lady to be just friends. But more often than not, one wants to be more than just friends with the other after awhile, I think.

asp3

Registered Member
I'm in the definitely can be friends camp. It might take a certain amount of detachment and self reflection if one party or the other is very attracted to the other person. However if they are capable of that then it can work for a long time.

I've always related to women more than men so I've had a lot of female friends over the years where nothing has ever happened between us.

MainerMikeBrown

Registered Member
Like I stated earlier, I think it is possible for a man and a lady to be just friends.

But with that said, let me ask everyone this: is it possible for a good looking woman and a good looking man to just stay friends with each other?

Shwa

V.I.P.
Like I stated earlier, I think it is possible for a man and a lady to be just friends.

But with that said, let me ask everyone this: is it possible for a good looking woman and a good looking man to just stay friends with each other?
Yes....? I don't understand what their appearance would have to do with anything, it would go the same way if both were ugly to one another, one or the other, etc.

~Shwa

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Is it possible for men and women to hang out with each other and remain just close buddies, or will one half of the equation inevitably want more? I tend to think it's a pipe dream.
Well my ex and I are BFF's and have been just that for well over 2 years now. I do admit to still being attracted to her though but have accepted that for her the romantic part of our relationship has faded out entirely. She and I spend time together and chat as much on the phone as we did when we were dating.

If you want to make friends with someone of the opposite sex and have it be just that, I suppose it would help if you and she were not physically attracted to one another.