Can Life Have Real Meaning Without Religion?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Perhaps one of life's biggest questions is "What is the meaning of life?"

Can this question be answered outside of religion?

I would argue that it can't, as it's generally atheists and agnostics that have the most trouble agreeing on an answer. The theory of evolution/big bang, etc seem to require the belief in the ultimate luck. Neither accidental or purposeful. Simply, this is how things ended up.

And if you believe that gravity is slowly pulling everything back into a central highly condense black hole or mass of some sort then can anything we do in this life really affect anything in the scheme of things? Does anything matter in the end?

But of course don't let me speak for you. I'm specifically interested in atheist and agnostic responses to this, but obviously all are welcome.

Thoughts?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't know what the meaning of life is, or if there is a meaning. But that doesn't mean life is pointless and not worth living, like religious people imply about atheists and agnostics. It's not the destination that matters. It's the journey. I know I'm not here just to reproduce and help ensure the survival of my species, even if that's what nature intended for us. I'm going to try to make the most of the time I have, live adventurously, and enjoy life. When I am old, if I can look back at my life and be able to say I truly enjoyed my time here, then life was not without meaning to me.

Bananas

Endangered Species
Can life have meaning with religion? ...most of my knowledge of modern religions would suggest the meaning of life starts with death.

To answer your question; There is one thing that is synonomous with all life (except for a minority of humans) and that is the primordial/primeval instinct to survive. I dont need a religion to give meaning to my life, just like the plants, animals, bacterium and virus dont need it for theirs. My meaning to life and the only meaing required is to survive, as an individual, a species and a lifeform.

Does anything matter in the end?
Probably not. I'd say its even a little egoistical to assume that it would matter.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
People are responsible for making meaning in their lives. Religion simply fills the holes that common knowledge cannot answer. It's not a terrible thing, but that's why it's called faith, it has no evidence. As I said you are to make meaning out of your own life, it isn't delivered to you or discovered.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I would say yes. Life can have much meaning to that individual without religion. As Cons stated, people are responsible for making meaning in their own life.

Perhaps one of life's biggest questions is "What is the meaning of life?"

Can this question be answered outside of religion?
- By definition... no. Meaning is something that is imputed. The symbol sequence "dog" doesn't have meaning unless we give it meaning. Nature, in an of itself, does not give itself purpose, its purpose is imputed. A thing does not determine its own meaning; the thing just is. A thing does not determine its own purpose; it just is.

Likewise, we do not determine our own meaning/purpose because of the definition of the word "meaning". Rather, it is God who created us for a purpose, and it is God who gives us meaning.

I would argue that it can't, as it's generally atheists and agnostics that have the most trouble agreeing on an answer. The theory of evolution/big bang, etc seem to require the belief in the ultimate luck. Neither accidental or purposeful. Simply, this is how things ended up.

And if you believe that gravity is slowly pulling everything back into a central highly condense black hole or mass of some sort then can anything we do in this life really affect anything in the scheme of things? Does anything matter in the end?
The odds of each one of us being here right now is enough alone to make me appreciate life. I don't need religion in order to feel like there's a reason for living because I believe it's completely man-made, God or no God. I also agree with Cons' statement about being responsible for your own happiness and meaning, and nothing else really matters.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
yes life can have meaning without the existence of Religion.

Our purpose on Earth:

Flourish, Multiply, Die

That is the purpose that most any religion is based upon and quite frankly its not something that is coined by them. Thats just the natural order of things. Take for instance the other Animals of the world. One could argue they dont have intelligent enough minds to be concerned with "purpose" in their lives. But I disagree, intelligence or not its our Instincts that guide us into what we should be doing.

If we fulfill those instincts then we fulfill our lives. Flourish, Multiply, Die.