Can it really be this easy?

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by idisrsly, May 20, 2010.

1. idisrsly

idisrsly I'm serious V.I.P. Lifetime

I just heard about the news of a burglary at a Paris Art Museum and couldn't help but think, can this honestly have been this easy?

Works by Picasso and Matisse Stolen From Paris Museum - NYTimes.com

How does someone get through a window at a museum and get away with about $100 million of art pieces? No security? No alarms? No burglar bars in front of windows? :shocked:

The mind boggles...

Rebeccaaa likes this.

2. Stegosaurus

Stegosaurus Registered Member

What's to say he didn't have inside help?

What kills me is that this isn't even the first of its kind--a few years ago there were art thefts on such a large scale and in such an obvious manner. That ease of entry/exit is why I think more often than not there is an inside man/men. I don't buy the, "Meh, our alarm wasn't really working" bit. An alarm on a McDonald's back door would get fixed faster than that (exaggeration, of course).

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2010
  3. idisrsly

This is my point exactly. Maybe I watch too many movies, but surely art pieces worth millions have lasers and bullet proof glass and all sorts of things keeping it protected. Even with inside help, it really should be harder than this when you are dealing with millions, maybe even billions of dollars worth of items?

4. Jakey-D

Jakey-D Registered Member

Is it just me or is anyone else wondering how he managed to "squirm" back out a broken window carrying five paintings?

ysabel likes this.
  5. idisrsly

I'm thinking if it was easy enough to squirm through a window to get it, he could probably have easily walked out of the front door on his way out... I don't know though. Everything just seems to good to be true in this story!

Maybe **enters conspiracy theory** it was so much of an inside job that the museum faked the robbery to claim from insurance? Just a thought...

6. Stegosaurus

Stegosaurus Registered Member

...to claim the insurance money...to fix the broken alarm system! It all makes sense now! Lawls. CG, I <3 you.

7. Jakey-D

Jakey-D Registered Member

From Yahoo news:

Now there's money well spent. I'm pretty sure they guy didn't just walk out with them and let's remember that this was 5 paintings. How did he carry them?

8. idisrsly

If something seems to good to be true, it usually is!!

[​IMG]

9. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Looks like the person had inside help. Sure he got in there through a broken window, but to get out with 5 paintings and bypass all existing security that night making him unnoticed, that's a lot of skill (even in the movies, the characters who do that don't do it alone).

It's sad when cultural items like that are stolen. Who else will buy them but collectors for themselves?

10. idisrsly

This is the really sad thing about it. In all likely hood, the paintings stolen were "ordered" by collectors before they were stolen, as selling stolen painting with the authorities on your back is kind of hard to do (I've heard someone say). So someone is sitting with those paintings and they may never be found for the public to admire.

It's a damn shame. I would be surprised if these paintings are ever found!