• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Discuss Can I report my teacher for teaching us something that isn't fact?

GaiaGirl95

Registered Member
I was in bio class then the teacher said cells cannot get very hot because enzymes denature. humans can catch fire from their own body heat it's a scientific fact. so she told us the wrong thing. Recently there was a man named Frank Baker who survived this and his doctor told him he burnt from the inside out, and a baby in India named Rahul. It was on the News and on the Science Channel. I told her that and she ignored me so she knew she messed up. she's said this twice now. can i report her for spreading mis-information?

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
If those spontaneous combustion stories are actually true, that means something went wrong in their cells. Your teacher isn't spreading misinformation. What she's teaching applies to normal cells that have no problems and work right. The cells in the body of those who supposedly spontaneously combusted weren't normal cells obviously.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm like Smelnick, what she is teaching applies to normal cells. I've read stories about spontaneous human combustion and I think that is something that has just come to light recently as possibly being true. So I wouldn't blame your teacher for not teaching that. Although I think that can happen and there is some evidence to prove it there really needs to be more research into it before we should start teaching it in schools.

I don't see the harm discussing the possibility of it in class but I wouldn't be teaching it as a fact so no I wouldn't report her. She probably already has a set curriculum she has to teach and there may be no room for anything extra.

GaiaGirl95

Registered Member
she didnt really talk about cells themselves but things inside cells called enzymes denature which control chemical reactions in the cell

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Spontanious human combustion is still very controversial, and no one knows much about it as a fact. So what your teacher is teaching you is known science. Don't report her. If you know different for a fact, become a scientist and prove her wrong.

Just don't listen to a hand full of stories you hear on the internet and jump to crucify your teacher. Rather learn. If you're a genius, prove it. But learn first.

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
If you believe she is spreading mis-information then why in the world would you not go to the teacher directly to get an explanation from her? Teachers usually don't spout off random stuff for no reason.

It also depends entirely on the way that your teacher is representing spontaneous human combustion.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
If you believe she is spreading mis-information then why in the world would you not go to the teacher directly to get an explanation from her? Teachers usually don't spout off random stuff for no reason.

It also depends entirely on the way that your teacher is representing spontaneous human combustion.
I think its more of a case that her teacher won't talk about spontaneous human combustion and Gaia thinks she should.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I think its more of a case that her teacher won't talk about spontaneous human combustion and Gaia thinks she should.
That's how I understood it as well. Reporting a teacher for teaching the syllabus and what is known fact would be really foolish, imo.

ILuvChuzzles31

Registered Member
I would not report her but I would see if there was a way to print up the information I had and after class or school show her it and discuss it.
If she feels that you are right then maybe she can discuss what was discovered the following day.

If she believes you are still wrong and you feel you are right then maybe either check with another science teacher without saying anything about that this was the topic being discussed so that you can get an impartial opinion..

If the second science teacher agrees with you then see what can be done about it your paper.