Can govt. save the economy from tailspin - or just make it worse?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by BarneyL, Jul 12, 2008.

1. BarneyL

BarneyL Registered Member

I guess it depends on whether you believe govt. screws up everything it touches - unintentionally or not.

Hmmm?:-/

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Well the other question is if you believe the government should be responsible for dealing with the economy. Judging by the national debt I don't think the government is who I'd hire if I had to pick somebody to fix the economy.

It will balance out over time anyway. I don't think the government can fix it though, at least not without another huge loss of jobs. It's one of those things that no matter how "broke" it is, the government should stay out of it or it will be worse.

3. Van

Van Heavy Weapons Guy V.I.P.

No.

I hope that was clear enough for you. The only way the government could help, is to stop trying to help!

Mirage likes this.
  4. BarneyL

Okay, Van, let's say I agree - is there anything the PRIVATE sector can do to pull us out of a potentially disastrous tailspin? Or is it as the Firesign Theatre once said: "We're all hostages from Hell, and all we can do is cry for mercy!"?

5. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

One thing that I think is important is doing what we can to keep as many jobs IN the US as possible, as opposed to companies that are moving overseas for their labor. Regulations and restrictions in the private sector need to be looked at and gauged in order to ensure that companies are able to succeed while remaining US based.

If jobs move overseas then that's where the economy goes too to a proportionate degree.

What are your thoughts Barney? I'd be interested to hear your take on this too. I'm sure you have put some thought into it as well. :)

6. BarneyL

Hybrix, no expert I - remember, I'm a reporter, we're lucky to ask the right questions, much less have the right answers.
    I do think govt. has a role to play, and that we're just coasting until the elections. Some say the less govt. does the better, but how do we expect the private sector to marshal any type of organized, coordinated campaign to, say, end oil speculation (if that is a factor in the gas price run-up) or crack down on the lenders who were giving away NINJA (No Income, No Job or Assets) loans? Expecting the private sector to police itself is as foolish, to my "crazy moderate" way of thinking as to believe govt. can solve things on its own.
    But one person's "public-private partnership" is another's "govt. in bed with big business."
    I may sound off-topic, but I don't think so. From the hugely costly war for.. what? to the need to either galvanize a tech. push for solar, wind, tidal (never discussed enough) power sources, we need to do more than create a "Planet Green" TV channel
    Maybe THEN my MBA wife can find a decent job around here;-/

7. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

I personally have little faith in government now because of the last 7 years but the first thing I'd do is cut spending so our dollar would be worth more in the future.

8. BarneyL

Cut spending on what? "Useless programs"? I guarantee for every call to cut this program or that, there are regular everyday folks - not to mention the lobbyists - who will fight tooth and nail to save it.

Or to use an old axiom - if the problem was that easy to solve, it'd be solved already;-/

9. Hi_Im_Tim

Hi_Im_Tim I am Heavy Weapons Guy

The government can save the economy only by getting their hands out of the economy and letting the people run it.

If the government tries to help the economy it will only screw it up more.

10. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

Axing Homeland Security would be a huge start.